One of the most interesting parts of this pregnancy has been all of the advice you get. From my age to baby names to delivery to child care – the extra advice, comments and suggestions are both funny and interesting. More than not, the extra counsel is really helpful. Nothing’s been offensive, too off the beaten path or down right rude.
All in all, people are genuinely interested in Mike and me having a baby so sharing tips and thoughts here or there has been a good thing. What’s interesting to me though is my change in perspective about this kind of advice now that we’re actually having a baby. Believe me, in the past I never really thought much of adding my own commentary to a conversation about babies. I’d throw in a comment or two about this or that – stuff I had no idea about but thought, oh that sounds like a good idea or “I read that somewhere.”
But now being pregnant, I will say, ‘soon to be moms’ get A LOT of 3rd party commentary over the course of gestation – some good, some bad and some really random and comical. From my experience thus far, here’s the Top 5 items of 3rd party commentary I’ve gotten:
Baby names – This seems to be a hot topic. If you decide to share what you will be naming your baby, you’ll get lots of opinions so for the good or bad, be ready. And for those who don’t share, here’s your forewarning: people will be upset. Bottom line.
Labor and delivery – You’ll hear it all in this category. And to expand further, some people love to talk about drugs during delivery. Whether you use them or not and why to use them or not. This can get really heated so watch out. I even had someone suggest that I have the child at home in the tub. Mike and I are opting out of that option.
Mother’s age – “34 is considered high risk” – Ok, so I’m 34. And for the record, I don’t feel old because I don’t think that’s old. Actually from what my Dr. has said, 35 is when you get into “high risk territory” but since I’m in good shape and have had every test come back with stellar results, I’m not feeling “high risk” or “over the hill” at 34 for baby making. Anyway, people like to talk about age I guess.
Child care – This is a tricky area where opinions run the gamut but let me tell you – you get a lot in this category. Day care, one parent stops working, nannies – there are lots of options for child care, which means there are lots of opinions. All I can say is – good luck.
Baby gear – There is so much stuff to potentially purchase pre-baby that it’s truly mind boggling. Asking other moms for advice has been extremely helpful for us. One thing that’s funny about this category is that those from older generations look at our baby “must have” lists in disbelief. I know. I get it. You raised tons of kids with no car seats, no seat belt laws, no bike helmets, no baby monitors. A wipe warmer? Diaper Genie? You have to be kidding. You didn’t have the luxury of popping in educational videos, putting a fussy baby in a “bouncy seat” or strapping on a Baby Bjorn and taking the nugget for a walk. You were pregnant during blizzards, while walking up hill, drinking a cup of high octane coffee and when you got to the top, you might have enjoyed a beer and a cigarette. I know. Things we’re different back then. But the cool part is, you have us – those super awesome kids from generation X and Y as a result. What could be better?? LOL! Here’s my thought on the advancement of baby products – it’s the 21st century. If some smart person came up with something clever that can help raise a baby, let’s give it a whirl.
Remembering Celebrities of 2025
1 year ago

3 comments:
This is freaking hysterical! Here's my thought on age: The optimal age to have a baby is 18. If you had a baby at 18, you would be divorced, living in your parent's basement with a high school aged child.
-debbie
You're not kidding. What a riot!
Post a Comment