Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Diaper bag and crib bedding progress

Mike and I headed over to Mary Jo’s in Gastonia this past weekend to check out the Amy Butler fabric they had in stock. What a cool place. For the fabric crafty in the area, this is the store to go to. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get myself around a sewing machine much less a pattern so I was strictly there to check out the inventory.

I had two items on my agenda – fabric for a diaper bag I’m having made by a super awesome Etsy seller. Here is the bag (but I selected different fabric). I purchased 2 yards – one for the interior and one for the exterior – and shipped those off this weekend. As soon as I get the finished product back, I’ll post some pics.

I was also there to see what kind of fabrics they had for the nursery. This project has proven to be a little trickier than I expected. There are lots of different fabrics to choose from but not a lot in the colors I’m looking for – apple green, deep fuchsia, white and chocolate brown. I’m thinking of heading in a different direction because really, all of the fabrics are gorgeous. Amy Butler and another fabric designer Heather Bailey have some of the best stuff.

I also scored on finding another Etsy.com craftswoman who will make the bedding for us (crib bumper, crib skirt, and blanket) once I find the fabric I like. She and I have been “convo-ing” back and forth and she’s been helping me a great deal.

Have I given enough plugs for Etsy.com? I love this place! If I was only creative, I’d set up my own shop! Ok, so yes – I agree with you and Mike – all of these projects would be much easier to accomplish if I just went to a store and bought these items. And I agree, this is a little more work for me/us, but so far, it’s been a cool adventure into the world of fabric that I didn’t know a thing about before. I'll keep you posted!

0 comments: