Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The sleep threat

"Sleep now because you'll never sleep again." "Better make sure you get a good night's rest now because once the baby comes..." "I hope you're ok with sleepless nights." Sleep.

Looks like our days of sleep are numbered (just check out the count down to the right). Thus, my next analysis of pre-baby advice during the remaining days of baby’s "snuggle womb time".

We've had literally everyone tell us all of the above statements including some sort of combination of them. What's interesting to me is that people say it to us like we have no idea what we're getting into. Or do we?? Some come with a cackle of, "Ha, you'll now be miserable just like me."

Has the idea of having sleepless nights never crossed our minds? (for the record, it has) Are we not prepared for crazy states of sleepless delirium? Are you ever really prepared? And does “getting a good night’s rest now” really matter? Can we stock pile away sleep? Yawn.

Welcome to the "sleepless nights, I'm miserable, but so fulfilled and never been more in love" parent club. So, here’s to late night TV, confused pets who think it’s time to eat, a screaming baby and the light of the refrigerator illuminating the kitchen while I get snacks. I’ll call all of you that gave me this great advice say around 2, maybe 3am. Sound good?

1 comments:

Corinna said...

Personally, I think its rude when people over-burden you with their own horror stories. Screw them. If I had listened to every horror story that I read or saw, I would have checked right into the mental ward. You'll be fine. You are a trooper. You'll get to sleep. And so will your baby!! Done.