Friday, May 15, 2009

Destination Maternity Alert

A little bit of advice for pregnant women in the area, beware of Destination Maternity.

I hate to slander a local business (or I guess this is libel because it’s written) but there are a few things about this store I feel I must share to help out the rest of us preggers around town.

Really the bottom line, Destination Maternity is a nightmare. And sadly, it’s basically the only thing we have going here. Yes, it’s similar to Babies ‘R Us in that it’s running a monopoly on all of us preggers. You can try to find maternity clothes at Target or one of the local department stores but basically if you looking for a big selection that runs the gamut in pricing, Destination Maternity is where you’ll end up.

Initially I thought, how great. One store where I can get everything from designer jeans to cheap jeans to bras to diaper bags to dresses – all for the protruding. Perfect. Sign me up. Since that discovery, I’ve frequented Destination Maternity – remember, they have a monopoly going so you basically have to go there – and you know what, each time the experience leaves little to be desired.

Gripe number 1. The sales associates are very pushy. Sometimes you’ll luck out with a great sales associate who will let you do your thing and not be in your way but most often, you’re attacked at the front door and then hounded as you float around trying to do a little shopping. Yesterday was a great example. I went there to buy nursing bras. I’ve talked to plenty of “soon to be moms” and those “whose milk has already come in” and I know what I’m signing up for here. Although embarrassingly immense in girth, I knew the size I was looking for and I was ready to make a purchase. What happens instead? I’m attacked by a sales associate who basically told me that not only do I not know what I’m doing, but that I’m actually wearing the wrong bra size at the very moment I stood there talking to her. Are you serious?? For the record, the bra I was wearing fit me perfectly and I guess for her sake, I didn’t fit into the perfect “pregnancy boob mold” that I believe she has us all fit into. As she said… “by now, you should have grown to X cup size and XX around the back.” My response? “Ok, well, my back fat isn’t puffing out over the top of my bra so can we move along here?”

Gripe number 2. You can not return anything to Destination Maternity for your money back. As the receipt says in very fine print that you have to actually initial before you’re allowed to even leave the store – you have 10 days to return something to the store (and what you are able to return is, of course, limited) and you will only get store credit. What a screaming deal and super convenient. Thanks Destination Maternity. Love that part of the monopoly business plan.

Gripe number 3. This goes for all stores really but since I’m on a roll here, I’ll keep my rant going. Hey, Destination Maternity, back away from the florescent lights in the dressing rooms. I’m literally the size of a house right now. And I’m trying on bras that could cover the front of my car. Could you tone down the lighting a little and at least try to implement one tiny measure to make my shopping experience with you a pleasant one? What about a dimmer in the dressing room? Great idea! Nope. Instead, you have these make shift dressing rooms with a “door” made out of a curtain that barely closes with people like the “bra attacking sales associate” right outside the “door” barking at me to see if I need a bigger size. “I’m fine, barking sales associate. I think this size is PLENTY big. Thanks.”

I could continue on and get more catty and describe other annoyances but since it’s the only game in town, I’ll let you check out the store on your own. I hope you have a pleasant experience. I did actually have 1 so it’s not to say it won’t happen again. I guess after it’s all said and done, it’s really an interesting science experiment where raging pregnancy hormones meet monopoly store associates. Sadly they win in this situation but I will say, it’s fun to argue, get sassy and release some of your tension so have fun during your next Destination Maternity trip!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Truth is a defense to slander/libel.

bcs said...

Oh Allison, I totally agree with you on this! I hated that store - first for the returns, second for the pushy sales people (one woman insisted I would need a nursing camisole. Lady, I'm having twins - who even knows if I'll be nursing????). Third, they WILL NOT stop cross-selling you! Near the end of my pregnancy, I ran in to buy something quick, and I kid you not the check out time was doubled because I was offered FOUR cross sells, two of which they'd offered me before and I'd declined. It frustrated me because I was on bed rest and had only a limited amount of time each day that I could be out, and I didn't want to spend it in the check out line at Destination Maternity!

Allison said...

You are SO right - the cross sells there are KILLER. I got those yesterday as well. Magazines and nursing pads.