Sunday, June 14, 2009

Jack

This week has been filled with so much emotion.

Today we had to make the extremely painful decision to put Jack down. We learned from our hospital room just yesterday that Jack’s cancer had returned. He broke his leg at the vet on Saturday while playing. They ran tests and it was uncovered that the bone was severely weakened from the returning cancer. The break was bad enough that the only option was amputation. After further screening and more tests, it was clear that the cancer had spread and Jack was given only a short time to live where he would have endured considerable pain.

The terrible and tragic irony of losing one baby as we bring a beautiful one into this world will never be lost. We’ll never forget the day we picked Jack up from the rescue. We’ll never forget selecting his name and sharing with everyone that we were getting a beautiful brindle, four-legged baby.

Enjoying seven wonderful years with Mr. Jack-o-Lantern has been the most fulfilling and loved of our lives. He challenged us with his anxiety and his chronic blind eating incidents, but it never mattered. He was The Lantern and we loved him for every bit of joy he brought to our lives each and every day.

We will miss our baby and our friend. We’ll remember today as a day when Jack met Miss Eloise for the very first time. We believe he has passed along the torch.

We love you Jack. You will always hold a very special place in our hearts.

Love, Allison and Mike


8 comments:

Kim G said...

How heartbreaking! I'm so sorry to hear about Jack :( At least he got a chance to meet miss ellie before the end.

Hope you are hanging in there - I'm sure that's heavy stuff to deal with on top of having a new baby. We are thinking of you :)

Erika said...

I am so sorry guys, I am sure you are overwhelmed with mixed emotion right now, we are thinking about you guys.

Kim said...

Oh Alison, I am so sorry. What a hard decision to make. Words can't say enough. But know he is in a better place and chasing kitties until his heart is content.

Anonymous said...

We have been thinking about you guys all day since hearing the news. We are so sorry for your loss. I think all of us know how much Jack meant to you both and how he was a true member of the Vail family. He will be sadly missed. Hope you guys are hanging in there and know that you are in our thoughts.
Love, Andrea, Doug and Brody

Corinna said...

Oh honey I'm so sorry! I'll call you after work. Love, C.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about Jack. I cannot image the emotions you are having. We're thinking about you... the de Haro's

Anonymous said...

Allison, I am so so sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through. My heart is breaking for you guys but overjoyed at the same time on the arrival of Miss Eloise. Like you said, I'm sure he has passed the torch.
Thinking of you,
Nicole

Bridget said...

Allison I started crying at work when I read this. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. You all gave him such a better life than what he would have had. And Ellie is just beautiful.