Eloise. I believe most of you know, but in case you don't, Eloise is my grandmother's name. My mother's mother. We called her Grandma Ellie and she was my closest grandma both geographically and emotionally. I was her "favorite youngest granddaughter." And she was my favorite Grandma Ellie.
My Grandma Ellie was a super star to me. She was the coolest grandma there was. She raised 4 girls all by herself when her husband passed away suddenly. She was a professional. A nurse actually, and one who used to wear one of those cool hats.
Grandma Ellie was born Ella Louise but when she started kindergarten, her teacher decided she was to become Eloise. So Eloise she became. Like Cher or Madonna or Sting - but much earlier than those super stars.
Grandma Ellie lived approximately 50 miles away from me and so this meant we could see each other often. Each time, she had a dollar for me and my brother. A dollar she would have likely rather seen in a bank account vs. down the street at the local penny candy shop. But she didn't care. She would still give us a dollar a piece. Sometimes it was even two dollars.
I remember my Grandma Ellie smoked cigarettes. She smoked cigarettes from one of those cool, and quite sophisticated, cigarette holders. I remember she loved Bob Barker and The Price is Right. And I remember she made a mean "hamburg soup." Quite a delicious soup for someone who hated cooking.
I have so many memories of Grandma Ellie. Some are mine and some are from pictures my mom would show me and stories she would share. I remember Christmas at Grandma Ellie's. I remember sleeping at Grandma Ellie's. I remember the smell of Grandma Ellie and her home.
I also remember when I was seven years old, and one month before she passed away, she gave me a book. A book that was dated and inscribed and it was called Eloise. December 25, 1982. Inside she wrote, "This book was named after me. I know you will enjoy it. Love, Grandma Ellie."
It was hard to read her handwriting because she was so ill but she did her best. It is a book I have to this day and a book I will cherish forever. I will always miss my Grandma Ellie. Little miss Eloise will never know her. But for that I will make sure she hears lots of great stories about her namesake. Because that's what would make Grandma Ellie smile and because that's what's in a name.


0 comments:
Post a Comment