Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm taking the next step

I'm taking the next step in running. I can't believe I'm actually blogging about this because personally, I'm still a little fuzzy on what this "next step" is but I feel by jotting this down, you will hold me accountable for whatever comes next in my running world. Actually, by jotting this down, I will hold myself accountable for my next running steps.  And maybe by the end of this post, I'll be able to solidify what "next" really is!

Here's some background. About a month ago, I started meeting up with some area runners for weekly long runs. By way of a recently created Facebook group and a local blog I discovered, I've found some runners who run the same pace I do, and have similar love and "use" of the sport that I have. (by "use" I mean, we are a pinch beyond just running for pleasure. we race as well.) So to be expected, they've quickly become a group I rely on to inspire me and help me work and train harder.

Our weekly runs are on either Saturday or Sunday morning and we crank out some miles while chatting and comparing running "notes" on what race is coming up, what training regimen we are following, what gear to have/use, etc. For one, it's awesome having the company. It's truly amazing what a group run will do for your mileage. Before you know it, you've run 13 miles when it only felt like a typical 5 mile run.  For another, this group of people has got me actually "training" for upcoming races vs. just running and showing up. Huh, how did that happen?

I personally feel like I do a lot with running, both in weekly mileage and getting out there for races but where I fall short is in truly training and setting goals. I don't know if it's my age or the amount of years I've been running but I've kind of fallen behind the "just running and staying fit, along with entering a race here or there is enough" kind of attitude. It's become my MO.  And I don't think there is anything wrong with that but for me, it's become my comfort zone.  It's easy for me to put on mileage. I enjoy running. It's what I do.  So getting out there 5 or 6 times a week is just like, whatever.  And as far as races go, I have Eloise to thank for that. She inspired me to try something new - the baby jogger division - which has been really fun.  It had been years since I was out on the racing circuit and thanks to that 18-month old little Monkey, I'm now back out there again. So anyway, my conclusion is, beyond these two said items, that about covers it for me and my running world.

But now, I'm taking the next step.  I'm going to set unrealistic, high reaching goals for myself. I'm going to up my anty as far as training goes. And I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and see what this nearly 36 year old body has left to offer the Charlotte running community.  Wow - what a statement! Don't get too jazzed.  Believe me, there are some mega fast runners around here so I'm not taking Charlotte by storm. Rather, I'll just try and take myself by storm. I've always been my own worst enemy. I'm sure I've referred to that on here before. I psych myself out. And psyching yourself out makes for very poor race days.  And then that leads to less motivation to train. Which leads to more lack luster races and you can see where I'm going here.  And although I truly LOVE running with Eloise, by running with my new group of buddies, I've discovered that I'm kind of hiding behind the jogging stroller. It was an excellent tool to get me back out there racing again, but now I'm using it as my crutch each and every race because with it, I run my own race, my own time, in my own division with what, maybe 4 other people, all because I have the stroller. And of course with the stroller, I'm slower than the rest. But that's OK, right?  I'm pushing a stroller!  That's my automatic, built-in excuse. And with that, I have no idea what kind of race I could run without it.  How fast could I be??

Well, last night I met up with my buddies again. The two of them are gearing up for a mega fast 5K on February 12 called the Cupid's Cup. It's here in Charlotte and from what I gather, it's supposed to be a relatively flat course and thus, a fast one. The two of them recently ran 20:05 and 20:09 5Ks (6:27 per mile splits) respectively and are in major training mode to break 20 minutes. They have 6 weeks to go and have literally mapped out each week's training schedule with speed workouts, long runs, rest days and the like. I have to say, from an outsider looking in, it's quite impressive.

Somehow, thanks to our common love of running, I'm kind of along for the ride with these two. They have the goal. They have the training schedule and luckily, they must like me because I get invited to run with them. So yesterday I got a FB message from them both saying they were doing a speed workout last night at 6pm. Would I care to join?  Of course I would!

Let me preface all of this by saying the last time I did a speed workout was quite literally 18 years ago.  Lol. It makes me laugh thinking about it.  But hey, game on. Let's do a speed workout!  As far as running goes, in order to prepare yourself for a race, and more importantly, in order to run a race faster than the previous one, you need to add speed to your training.  And, I know this. But do I do it? No. (speed workouts are basically intervals of predetermined time or distance in order to condition your body to run faster. the more you do it, the faster you become. easy peasy. Lol. except, I don't do it. sorry for "running 101.")

Can you imagine me sprinting up the street with Eloise in tow (or better yet, around a track pushing a stroller? hilarious!) lets say for example 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off. Then 3 minutes on. Then 2 minutes off.  You get the jist. Anyway, a baby jogger and speed workouts might not be a good match. But, regardless, to be a fast runner, they are important.

Alas, last night arrives and yes, I find myself doing a speed workout adjacent to the Light Rail line in Uptown Charlotte at 6pm with 2 running buddies, all of us geared up with flashing lights and florescent colored shirts with reflective striping. Safety first, remember.  The workout went well. Yes, I can hang with these guys. I was even faster for a couple of them.  When we got back to our cars they continued talking about their sub-20 goal, reviewing their watches for our workout results, and then off we go. We say our goodbyes and head to our cars.  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "you are totally goal squating here. They are the ones who are reaching higher than they've ever reached. They are the ones doing all of the homework to find out how they can accomplish this awesome time. They set up the days/times we meet. I'm just totally 100% along for the ride."

Hence my "next step" blog post. I'm not goal squating any longer. I'm going to do it too. I'm going to set that goal of sub-20 for the Cupid's Cup. (I've already signed up!) And I'm going to set other running goals for 2011. I'm not going to hide behind the jogging stroller any more (well, actually I would like to run a 10K with Eloise but that would be placed into the "goal" category because I think it'll be a stretch for both of us.).  I'm going to add speed workouts to my weekly regimen. I'm going to do my homework, offer up training ideas to my friends, I'm going to continue feeding off of my newly found running comraderie and therefore become a better runner.  Hey, what do I have to loose?? 

Oh, and most importantly, I'm going to stop being my own worst enemy. When I show up at the starting line, I'm going to be confident and strong. I'm going to do my best for that single day and that single race, whatever it may be.  I'm not going to psych myself out and I'm not going to leave the race feeling like I had more. I'm not going to think about the other runners. I'm going to run  my own race at my own pace and push myself to be better.

There. I said it. I'm taking the next step. Deep breath in and then out.

2011 Running Goals:

1) Sub 20:00 5K
2) Complete a 10K with Eloise
3) Sub 45:00 10K - without Eloise
4) 1:34 for a 1/2 marathon

1 comments:

Graham said...

This was a great post!! Truly inspiring for me, and I hope everyone else that reads this!