Monday, January 24, 2011

Long overdue update

First off, I'm so sorry for my sh*tty blogging skills as of late. And I guess I'm also sorry for swearing. This is a blog about a child 99% of the time, right? But what else can I say?? I'm no good as of late.  I thought about it too. Why am I not blogging? Am I running out of topics to cover? Am I bored? Or rather am I too busy? Here's the truth. The Monkey isn't surpassing milestones every second like when she was younger. And it's winter time and we don't venture out as much. And when we do, it's enough that I have us both bundled up appropriately and out the door. Sometimes that means the camera doesn't make the trip.  I know, I know. That's crap. And I hate excuses so I'll leave it at that.

So what has been going on with our Monkey?? She talks ALL day. Nonstop really.  And it's amazing how clearly she pronouces words. She's definitely in the parrot stage. Every single thing you say will come out of her mouth in short order. All adult language has been banished from the household. I even said gosh the other day and it sounded weird coming out of her mouth. Next time I guess I'll "oh my goodness."  Anyway, for any of you around the Monkey-girl, just know, everything you say, she will say. It may or may not sound right but she will try. And she also enjoys Chinese Water Torture with her language skills, like Mickey Mouse for example. We're in a the midst of a "pull your hair out" Mickey Mouse obsession around here ("pull your hair out" because Mike and I have both had ENOUGH of Mickey) and once she gets on her kick she will literally run around here and repeat Mickey Mouse 300 times. It's truly torture. Possibly more torturous than actually sitting and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which is a disaster of a show. But alas, she loves it and has a particular fondness for Mickey right now. And really, what can I say? He taught her how to perfectly say the word "hotdog", which when asked what she would like for breakfast, lunch or dinner, your first response 100% of the time is "hotdog." Of course.

Whatelse is going on?  I am heading over to a preschool tomorrow morning to enroll Eloise in the fall session.  I've been "schooled" on the ins and outs of preschool in this neck of the woods and therefore I feel like I'm now preparing myself for battle. Tomorrow at 9:30am a "first come, first serve" registration will begin at this particular school, the same school all of the neighborhood kids go to. I'm still on the fence about sending Eloise to preschool to begin with and so I'm only going to this one school and going through the process to get a feel for everything. If she gets in, great. If not, we have the baby whisperer.  I'm aware of the fact that there is a really slim chance we'll get in but I feel like putting myself through what sounds like a pretty crazy process will help me learn the ropes for the future. 

Here's what I've learned.  Tomorrow will be an "open to the public" registration. That means all of the church members and current students will have already had first dibs to enroll their kids before I even step foot in the building. I think that makes perfect sense and is completely fair.  Whatever leftover spots remain after that point will be on a "first come, first serve" basis for us, "the public," tomorrow morning. I've been told to arrive at 8:30am and wait outside like I'm at the DMV.  Literally. I'll be the one bundled up reading a book and sipping coffee. And I've actually tried to con some friends into walking over to keep me company but I don't think that's going to fly.  Tomorrow at 8:30am it is expected to be 32 degrees. The line forms outside.

After I get Eloise registered - to the tune of a nonrefundable $85, which is supposedly a screaming deal for preschool registration fees, - I will be alerted by the month of May whether or not she is enrolled or if her name will instead be added to a wait list. If she ends up on a wait list, I'll be told what number she is on the list (and then I guess this is when I start hoping kids move away or drop out of school?? sounds terribly morbid.). I have no idea how many spots will be available to be filled for tomorrow. Maybe the executive director will give me the scoop if I butter her up a little.

Here comes the buttering up part. My friend Sue, whose son Cameron attends this school, has been giving me the inside track on everything I need to do. She's nearly employed at the place having substituted there for a year and may actually become a full-time employee come this fall.  She's the one who told me to get there at 8:30am - 60 minutes pre-registration. And she also told me to quiet literally say the following during registration "Cam will be devastated if his girlfriend Eloise isn't in his class next year."  Devastated. A 2 year old. I love it.  If guilt gets Eloise into preschool, I'll let you all know. Then to make matters more dramatic, I followed up that suggestion with the idea that we get the kids together tonight for a little "executive director card making session."  What have we got to loose??  Oh, and I've also thought about bring doughnuts and coffee to the preschool employees. I think that's going a little far but it did cross my mind. And no, Cam did not come over tonight. No cards were made.

Anyway, like I said, if she gets in, she gets in. I'm throwing $85 at a chance that my daughter will likely not get into preschool but to me it's worth the effort to see how this all works and quite possibly get her in. I do love the socialization of it all. I like that I can choose the days she goes. But if we wait another year and she goes at 3, that's fine too. And if I didn't say tomorrow doesn't a pinch feel like I'm fighting for the last available Cabbage Patch Doll at Wal-Mart, I meant to. Moms going all cut-throat for a chance to get their kids into preschool. I do expect some pushing and shoving at the door. Game on. Stay tuned on Operation Preschool.

For pictures, I don't have many. We spend so much of our time indoors right now and I'm still using "auto" on the camera, which means the flash is used all the time. And pics with flash just stink. So I'll spare you but either way, I did want to share a few. Here is the Monkey in her paint smock. It's actually my cooking apron but it now doubles as a paint smock and if I tuck it and tie it just right, I have to say....it fits our little artist perfectly. (painting is probably her most favorite thing to do each day.)


And here are 2 pics of the Monkey goofing around with Mommy and the camera. She's hamming it up and being very cute.


Last, these pics are bad quality but I'll post them anyway. What better to do with an annoying obsession than to feed right into it? Here is a sick Monkey who got a new Mickey Mouse t-shirt from her mommy to cheer her up.


Photobucket

0 comments: