Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cupid's Cup and Winter Flight

I ran in the Cupid's Cup 5K this morning and the Winter Flight 8K a few weeks ago so I'll use today's post to update on both. I totally forgot to even mention the 8K. It was in Salisbury on January 29. My goal was to get under 35 minutes and I finished feeling really strong with a 34:01 (6:50 per mile pace).  I was 5th overall female and 1st in my age group.

Today's 5K was a speedy race. My goal was to break 20 minutes - one of my 2011 goals. And I finished huffing and puffing and nearly vomiting (so I truly know I could not have gone any faster today) with a 19:42 (6:21 per mile pace).  God, 5Ks are SOOOO hard. To me they are like a 3.1 mile sprint. Certainly not my forte. I'd rather log some miles than run fast any day.  Nonetheless, I'm really pleased with how today's race went. It was hard but it was good for me. I was the 7th overall female (after literally watching numbers 4, 5 and 6 pass me in the last 3/4 to 1/2 mile. Ugh.) and 2nd in my age group.

I'm definitely psyched with how both of these races turned out. For whatever reason, I've been feeling really strong lately. My weekly mileage has stayed consistent. I've thrown in some speed workouts and together it seems to be a good recipe. I just hope I can keep it up!  Stay tuned for my next race.

(glad this post is all done because I looked over and just caught Eloise putting a hand full of dirt into her mouth from a plant. ahhh!!)

Photobucket

1 comments:

Corinna said...

Rock star!! And congrats on making the 20 minute mark and being 1st in your age group. That's amazing, Allison. Honestly I don't know how you do it.