The Monkey's 18-month birthday was last Saturday. I'm a pinch behind on things here.
Stats first...
Height - 32 inches - 75 percentile
Weight - 25.2lbs - 75 percentile
Head - they didn't measure it. I guess at this age they just give their noggins a once over. Hers probably looks in proportion to the rest of her. Lol.
In regards to height, my mom has always told me (as relayed to her by her mother) to double a kids height at their 2nd birthday and that is how tall they will be when they are full grown. If this is true, then the Monkey will be as tall - and much more likely - or taller than her mother. 32 inches x 2 = 64 inches, which is what her mother is. 5' 4". So if she's not to grow even one 1/8 of an inch more between now and June - obviously totally unlikely - then we'll be the same height as me. But I'm putting my money on a "taller than her mommy Monkey".
The Drs appointment was fine. She had one Heb B shot and that was it. Per usual, she was very brave and handled it well. The Dr was pleased with the milestones she's reached thus far. Gave us the heads up of what to expect in the coming 6 months - major language development period - and to continue enjoying our Monkey as much as we have.
She also asked if we had a potty for her yet, which we don't. She said it was time to start introducing her to it and talking about it so I'm off to get a potty asap. I've already been talking about it - "come with Mommy to the potty." "When you're a big girl, you'll go pee pee on the potty." But she doesn't own a little potty so we're off to get one. I had actually read this somewhere else - to start potty "training" (even though it won't be full blown training. more like "potty talk" as I'll take her there when I go potty, continue talking about going potty, etc.) at 18 months. With the Drs reinforcement of this 18-month idea, I'm going to try it. It certainly can't hurt to have one here for her to discover and get to know. I guess the premise of all of this is that starting at 18-months, kiddos begin to know/feel the sensation of when they have to potty and also, can start verbalizing it.
Last bit from the Dr. After prying her mouth open, we all discovered the Monkey is literally getting in 5 teeth all at once. Haven't I always said I blame everything on teething? She's actually been fine but I don't know how. She's really working on some serious chomper action in there. After these 5 come in, she'll be close to having her full set of baby teeth.
Other non-Dr-related updates on the Monkey at 18-months.....this week in particular has been a big one for Eloise. I've noticed quite a few changes with her and what seems to be major developments. I'll number them.
1) Individual play - the Monkey is getting much better at entertaining herself with playtime. This week in particular. She's completely fine discovering her toys on her own, creating fun little activities for herself and needs little reassurance or entertainment from me or Mike. We can even step out of the room for periods of time (which is entirely new) and she doesn't chase after us. In weeks/months past, she'll want us to create fun games or lead playtime and stepping out of the room was unheard of. So it appears she's developing her own sense of play and also perfectly fine doing this on her own.
2) Kissing/affection/attachment to mommy is waning - Couple of things here all grouped together. I believe staying at home with Eloise has created a situation where she's VERY attached to me. It's been a good thing/bad thing for obvious reasons. Unless I was completely out of the house though, she'd freak out if I wasn't there with her. Even when she was spending time with Daddy. Mike didn't take it personally. Of course it was just a phase but it was just an all-around bummer. Anyway, since Mike's parents were here last weekend, the Monkey has really taken a turn. She was great with Grandma and Grandpa all weekend and has also been great with her Daddy, creating their own special bond. And all with or without me in eye or ear shot. Awesome! In addition to this, the Monkey is now becoming much more affection. Remember my "kiss Grandma and Grandpa goodbye" post....she's been giving us warm, loving kisses and hugs all week. Melt my heart, Monkey Girl! Lots of thumbs up for this change!
3) Language development - the Monkey is getting crazy good at words. I often get asked how many words she knows - including the Dr. asked us - but really, she knows a lot. An actual count? I don't know. And I don't count them as words she knows until she uses them in context but bottom line, she knows a lot. And also, even as of this week, she's getting really good with 2 words together and/or 2 syllabol words.
Lastly for language development, she's really quite articulate. Just this week she started saying "hot dog." No more will she "arf" at me when she wants a hot dog for lunch. Now she knows the words and uses them. She just busted right out with this one this week and I'm telling you, she says it as clear as day. So crazy! She's not used "hot dog" ever until this point and now it's like she could order her own at Johnny's Lunch!
I won't list the full list of words she's added to her vocab but some fun ones to note - she's getting great with her colors and letters and even knows some numbers. For her ABCs, she knows from A through H, then sometimes she'll pop out an M or an N. She also knows the numbers 8 and 9. And for colors, she knows yellow, blue, green and orange. We're working on red but for now, it's also orange. They're so close:)
I guess as far as sizes....she's definitely wearing 18-24 months only. Nothing smaller and actually, she sports some 2T stuff already. Also, her feet are a size 5. Her feet are kind of small for her size but maybe they'll have their own growth spurt over the next 6 months or so.
Yes, we're still dragging multiple monkeys around this place (and the grocery store, and the library, and the....). Mimi is the love of her life and honestly the one who comforts her first when she's hurt herself. Example - she falls, and as the tears are flowing, she's saying Mimi, Mimi, Mimi as I'm trying to hug her, kiss the boo boo and tell her she's going to be ok. All the while, she's pushing me away and completely 100% focused on finding Mimi. When she does, thumb goes in the mouth, crying stops, and all is right in the world again. I don't take her personally. I promise.
Stairs - she still needs assistance both upstairs and downstairs but she's getting really good at climbing them. And we practice multiple times daily. She wants to use the railing to help herself, which I'm glad about. Only bummer, it's a couple inches too high for her. Yes, I've seen the kids railings you can put up but we're not going to do it. Instead, we'll keep helping her. But she's getting there. Maybe another inch in height and she'll have them down pat.
Sticks, trains, dirt, cars, airplanes...the tom-boy Monkey continues. Airplanes in particular right now are a big deal. Well, airplanes and helicopters. She can't get enough of them when they fly by our house throughout the day Thankfully we're on a pretty busy flight pattern and also, we're near a road that gets surveyed for weekday traffic hour updates. Therefore, airplanes and helicopters galore makes for one happy Monkey.
Ok, orange chair shots....I got them this time! And I really took this on her actual birthday. It's just taken me this long to post them.


0 comments:
Post a Comment