Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tis the season

I love this time of year. I love that we get a tree, that we decorate the house, that together we're starting new traditions, and experiencing all new things with Eloise who doesn't know yet or understand the holiday season. Some day I'll teach her about the spirit of Christmas, I'll also make sure she's privy to all-things-Santa Claus and his gift-giving ways, and with my hope, she'll love to give rather than receive.

This weekend Mike's parents are coming and we so we have the fun opportunity to get the Vail household Christmas-ready together!  We are getting our tree, decorating the house, baking cookies, enjoying hot chocolate in front of a warm fire, wrapping presents, teaching Eloise to not touch the tree, reminding Eloise to not touch the tree, and then again, reminding Eloise to not touch the tree. 

We are also going to watch the Charlotte Marathon (I can not wait - I'm like a giddy little kid! I was going to run the 1/2 marathon but being out of commission for most of November, I don't think it's wise. I'm really bummed but have to be realistic. That said, it won't stop me from being the best cheerleader I can for all of those inspiring runners!), going to see Santa, and spending some good cuddle and play time with Eloise and her grandma and grandpa. Our menu is set. Every meal is planned. Mike is going grocery shopping tonight. All of our Christmas decorations are out and ready to go. The house is clean - thanks to Monkey's help. She really enjoyes toilet cleaning. What can I say?? I think we're ready to go, folks!

One other note about this time of year and thus, today's pictures. I love holiday cards. I was never one who sent them (eek - sorry!) until I had a child but now I love it. I will say though, despite having not send holiday cards for years and years, I did always love receiving them. They are such a warm and kind gesture to let someone else know you are thinking about them during this great time of year.  And it's real snail mail. Not email or a cell phone call (or Skype or a podcast, or whatever other crazy communications gadget is needed). It's the one annual tradition that many appreciate that relies on the good-ole U.S. Postal Service. On top of this, it's also a really neat way to see people's kids.  As with our holiday card, several that we've received are of just the kids or of the family all together and I love it. I love that each paused for just a moment some time this fall to snap that perfect "holiday card pic" to show us all how cute their little ones are.  Or for that matter, how not-so-little they are anymore. I love getting the mail this time of year. (as opposed to bills or junk mail.) I love keeping these cards out throughout the holidays and I love tucking them away at the end of the season and keeping them so I can look at them for years to come.  So as you can imagine, I've got Eloise lined up to appreciate this very same tradition that her mommy has grown to love.

Today we received quite a few cards and so Eloise and I went through them together. She loved them. Kids love kids. They are fascinated with one another in person and as proven today, they are also excited to see their pictures on holiday cards.  Because she was so into them, I was able to snap a few pics. And as a separate side note, based on this blog it would appear that my daughter spends a lot of her life in her PJs. I'm not going to lie. She does.  But I swear, I do change her and we do go out to shop or to playdates or to the library. Really. We do.  It just seems like the easiest or cutest time to take her pic is when she's running around here in her PJs. Thus another day full of blog pics of yes, you guessed it....the Monkey in her PJs.


(she thinks reindeer are dogs. she barks at them and was also barking at the screen during Rudolph at movie night. hilarious.)

Photobucket

0 comments: