Monday, January 11, 2010

7 months old today!

The Monkey's 7 month birthday was celebrated today by a visit from my great friend Amy. Amy was in town for work and came over to meet our little girl and spend some time catching up. We haven't seen each other since Jody's wedding (August 2008), which is just way too long for us to have not been together. Amy lives in Pittsburgh and sadly that means, we don't get together often. It was great seeing her and slinging gossip left and right. She's a complete crack up and sorely missed!

Yesterday, we also celebrated the Monkey's birthday with dinner and cake with Grammie Judy. She brought over a really fun board book called "Julie's Jungle" for the Monkey who absolutely loved it. She definitely dove right into the "pages" of this one. Then today, a fun package arrived from Grandma and Grandpa Vail and Eloise now has her very own monogrammed blanket. It's very fuzzy and snuggly. Perfect for story time.

This past month was full of solid food and she did great with them all. So far she's eaten rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and pears. Next in our cupboard is peas and then whatever else Mike buys at Target tonight (didn't make it this weekend).  We are also getting her some puffs or something small for her to start feeding herself (also on the Target list for tonight) and will try those tomorrow. Oh and she also loves teething biscuits.  Tomorrow we're going to bust out the teething feeder for the first time and give her some fresh fruit. I'm hoping she really likes it and gets used to holding it and feeding herself. She's still a little iffy on her sippy cup and water so I'm hoping the more I give her to hold and put up to her mouth herself, the better she'll get.

Also, Eloise is not quite sitting up on her own but very close. She's getting better weekly as she gets stronger in her core and better able to support herself. She still wobbles backwards which requires us to sit behind her but she's getting much more stable and can sit (with us behind her) for quite a long time while she plays. (also using the Pack-n-Play to give her more sitting practice.)

Crawling is alllllmmmmooooosssstttt there. This past weekend she started moving her hands forward, and then later a leg would drag forward, then down on her tummy she'd go. It's really the cutest thing to watch her put all of the pieces of crawling together but she's getting it and will have the coordination there any day now.  I've been taunting her with delightful goodies to get her to crawl and it seems to really be working (remind me of this when I can't catch her because she's a maniac crawler). So far the little Fisher Price figurines (pics on this tomorrow....really cute) and a soda can are the most enticing to her and really get her to scooch forward.  Regardless of how far away something is, she gets it.  Whether she rolls or pulls herself or pushes with her legs, she's definitely one that has to be watched at all times (good practice for when she really is mobile).  If you take your eye off of her, you'll find her stuck under the ottoman, sofa or chair. Not good. Needless to say, she's not crawling but I see this happening any day now. And in the mean time, she's have a good ole time getting around with all of her creative ways.

As I mentioned last week, naps are still a bummer, but we've been back to her sleeping through the night for the last month.  Teething either subsided or the Drs idea of reassuring her at night (or both) worked. Thankfully!  She's a champ night time sleeper and I hope that continues. We start our night time routine at 6:30pm and she's usually fast asleep by 7pm. Then we see each other again around 6:30am the next day. Fantastic!

Speaking of teething, Eloise has 2 teeth coming in at the same time on the bottom. The two that always come in first. Originally I thought it was just one but actually there are two in there and they are in a race to see who makes it in the fastest:)  I've not yet dared to get in there and see them (she gets fussy and upset if I paw at her chin and try to take a peek) but Mike's been in there a couple of times and seen them both (he's who confirmed there were two). They are neck and neck in the race! And I hope they hurry up because it seems pretty tender and sore for my little Monkey. Agh, teething. I know, this goes on for 2 years. 2 years!!!

She continues to be a "processor" and has to get the full check-out of every situation before she feels comfortable. It's amazing to watch her take it all in. She eyeballs the entire room, every person, every nook and cranny without saying a peep. She'll chop on her hand and concentrate on everything going on around her. Then when she's good and ready, she starts talking away.  Mamamamamamamammamaaaa continues to be her "word" (i.e. babble) of choice. Honestly, there are times when she flat out says "Mom". It's crystal clear and hilarious. Now of course it's just babble but it is so funny (and sometimes shocking) to hear.  And of course, I encourage her to say it more by answering...."yes, dear." :) As of now, dadadadadada has not been used in her babble but I test out new sounds with her all of the time so hopefully this one will stick soon.

Everything continues to go to the mouth and likely will continue for a long time to come. She can turn any object into a teething toy regardless of it's original intent. She loves story time and all of her board books (which also double as teething toys - I really need to break her of that habit. Grammie Judy would die if she saw a book in Eloise's mouth:).  I think I've covered it all for month 7 but I've likely forgotten something. Anyway, here are our standard "orange chair birthday pics" and also, here is a video of Miss birthday girl!







0 comments: