Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The holiday beard

Some of you have been introduced to the holiday beard (and I'm sure you loved it) but for those who haven't please allow me to explain. Mike decided many moons ago that each Christmas vacation he would grow out what he calls his "holiday beard."  He'd start growing it on his first day of vacation and very shortly there after, he'd have his full on winter vacation beard. He'd keep it for the week to 10 days that he was able to take off from work and then at the end, he'd shave it off and return to the "real world". I know what you're saying.....lucky me!  Actually, I don't mind Mike with a beard. It takes him maybe 4 hours to grow and since he has this skill, why not let him show it off, right?

Ok, now let's layer in Mike's next fun trick where he shaves off the holiday beard but he shaves it off in stages.  And as he goes he shows me different styles like the "70's porn star" or the "Mexican mustache" or even the "Hitler." This year he threatened me by saying he'd be sporting one of these "styles" for a full day - in years past he'd shave into something whacky, show me quickly then back into the bathroom he'd go. Fun, huh??  But this year, he had it all mapped out. As he said, "the first day will be mutten chops with a mustache and goatee.  Then the second day will be mutten chops and a mustache.  Then the last day will just be a full on mustache."  Ok honey, I say.  (if I show any more emotion, he'll back up the "shave days" and add in a few more so I need not encourage him.) He even asked (he's so polite), "do you think Erika will mind if I have the "70's porn star" look at her birthday dinner?  (again, I can't really debate this topic with him or I'll make it worse. I just always hope he'll make a good decision.)

Well, luck was on my side this year and a last minute work trip came up for Mike. That meant no "shave days" as his vacation was nearly over and he had to go out of town.  So with all of this build up I feel I must share a few pics. First I'll show you his 2009 holiday beard (you may have seen this on Puddle Ducks day). And then I'll show you a pic of the Monkey and Mike from today (just after shaving and also after getting a hair cut).  And then so not to completely hold out on you...the last pics are taken from a holiday beard shave session from years past.  Enjoy!








1 comments:

Graham said...

I like the moustache only. looks like he drives a white child kidnapper van.