Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A long overdue nap update

No, I haven't been avoiding the topic but I'd be lying if I didn't wish I could close my eyes (and click my heels a little) make a wish and poof, I open my eyes and all is right in the world. But alas, naps still suck around here.  And as you know, this is after many, many, many months of a lot of hard work.  I certainly won't take for granted how far we've come but if I had to grade our napping skills, I'd have to give them a C-.  Not quite a D (which means I'm assuming there is worse out there) and not quite a C because the ebs and flows of going down fuss-free to then crying herself to sleep, and the short naps with an occasional long one, it's just too herk and jerk to give us anything but a C-.  Inconsistent. I can just see that written on a report card. "She's inconsistent."  Hmmm....ok.

And believe me, I'm not pleased with a C- but I have pretty much thrown in the towel on it all together. It's like when she arrived on June 11 she took one look at me and said "it's Go time, Mommy."  And that challenge is something I took on. But she wins. The towel has officially been thrown in. The baby whisperer is in my camp as well. 

Ok, here's where we netted out.... 3 - 4, 34 minute naps daily.  Yes, I said 34 mintues. That's what she naps for. 34 minutes. It's truly unreal. If she ever turns into a long distance runner (all I can relate too) she'll have that pacing thing down pat. She doesn't even need to look at her watch. She just knows when it's been 34 minutes.  Bink. Up! We still give her 10 minutes to "decide" whether or not she'll go back to sleep but really who are we fooling? We can tell within the first 30 seconds if that answer is "yes" or "no".  We're so much fun downstairs that she can hardly stand a second without us. Sigh.

And so much for turning 6 months and naps lengthening. Now all I can hope for is she starts crawling, burns more energy (as will I) and is tired enough to sleep sufficiently.  A girl can dare to dream. And seriously what kills me.....KILLS ME.....is she will still cry when I put her down for a nap.  Really??? We've been working on this for nearly 4 months. Let me repeat that....4 months....and there is about 50% of the time where I'll see the sleep signals, we'll rock and read stories, give her the monkey lovey, bounce a little and then put her down (drowsy but awake) and she'll cry.  I mean come on already.  The cues were not missed. The sleep preparation was not slack. Every box was checked. Every i was dotted. Every T was crossed. This girl is READY to take a nap but what does she chose to do instead?? Cry.  And cry she will for as long as I let her. I'll go back in, I'll reassure her (which works like a champ at night - love that tactic. she's been back to her usual sleeping through the night for the past month now. so awesome!), anything to get her to calm back down and get some much needed shut eye.  After about 30 minutes of trying this, after the 3rd time of trying this that day, I throw it in. I give up.  Honestly, if she won't sleep, she won't sleep.  And really, no wonder she such a great night time sleeper. She's certainly exhausted. 

And I'll say, it's not entirely fair that I'm even writing this post because I put her down 17 minutes ago and she went right down. Not a peep from her.  And the other day she slept for 75 minutes in the car. Albeit the car, but whatever. It was 75 minutes of fuss-free slumber. I'll take it. So like I said, about 50% of the time she's fine, 50% she's crying.  It's just entirely too frustrating that a baby nearly 7 months old is still crying herself to sleep after this much time. I don't get it. There literally isn't a sleep self-help baby book, web site or message board out there that I haven't read, purchased or borrowed. I've even written into some of them. Yup, I'm that crazy mom.  Or as Mike says, I'm the bulldog that doesn't let something go. I will say, typically I have the task at hand, I set the goal and I accomplish it.  Not this time. This challenge has gotten the best of me. I don't feel as though there is any other option other than to help her as much as I can and after that, it's in her hands.  Crying or not. And 34 minutes or not.

And don't worry, I'm not losing it over here. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was frustrating but I realize that there are things in life that you can't figure out and at that point, I just go with it.  For Eloise and her naps, I'm just going with it. I feel at peace with it really. I truly feel I've done everything I can and from now on, she can lead the way. But don't worry, if there ever appears to be an opening into the secret Eloise Nap Club (only members allowed and Mommy is clearly not a member. I've never even seen the club rules or bylaws.), I'm joining. ASAP. Heck, I'm getting Gold Member status.

(oh and let me add one last tid bit so you don't think I've got this crazy, insanely pissed off, sad, nearing a clinical state of depression, baby on my hands. she's as happy as a lark. literally 1 nanosecond after I get her from her nap, she's all smiles. she could have just been bawling her fool head off and I pop in there, she's grinning ear to ear.  who's working who here?? oh yeah, I know. believe me, I know!)

Ok, now onto a more fun topic. Here is the Monkey today with her super cute onesie on from aunt Kerry. And then these crazy cute red corduroys that were given to us that match perfectly. Love me some kiddo cords! (lots of cute faces today so I couldn't chose which pics. sorry for the overload. it's just how I am.:)










0 comments: