Saturday, December 12, 2009

Charlotte Marathon

Today was the Charlotte Marathon. The Thunder Road Marathon to be exact. And at the start, it was a chilly 28 degrees. I didn't run in this year's marathon. After my one and only attempt at this race, I swore I'd never do it again. And honestly, I've only gotten the itch one time since saying that 5 years ago. A marathon is a heck of a distance and takes quite a commitment. I'm not sure I have the time or desire at this point in my life. But half marathons, now those are fun. I'm hoping to run the Thunder Road 1/2 next year. Ok, I digress.

So in preparation for being a very loud and happy spectator for today's race, we bundled up the Monkey, got the Bob suited up with plenty of blankets and we headed up the street. Mile 23 was very close to the house, which is just too cool (the course has very much changed since I ran and thankfully so as the runners now get a much more scenic tour of the city of Charlotte).

We got to our spot, bought 2 cups of coffee from a local bakery and positioned the Monkey so she was facing all of the fun. Then began my cheering for hundreds of runners as they trickled on by. With only 3.2 miles left, they were pretty beat by the time they saw us but I was screaming and clapping and doing my best to encourage them on. And also, a local restaurant ran their outside speakers so they had some good tunes to help motivate them to the finish line. So fun! 

And I'll admit it (this won't come as a surprise to most of you), seeing all of those runners....ahhhh, there is truly nothing more inspiring to me. I got tears in my eyes just watching them run on by, huffing and puffing, knowing they only had a little bit left in their race and they would have just completed a marathon. That's so awesome! Each one has a story to tell. Each one ran today's race for a different reason and each one, as they went by us, inspired me more and more.

(side note - Mike thinks I'm totally crazy so if you agree with him, that's OK. Yes, today's race brought tears to my eyes - tears of happiness. Yes, I was that obnoxious race fan screaming and yelling and clapping for each and every person that went by us. And my final yes.....Yes, I'm the one who made eye contact with every runner and I'm the one at mile 23 who had a perma-smile across my face trying to help give them a little love late in their race. Maybe one of them needed some encouragement right at that moment and I helped. It means a lot to them, I know it does. I've been there. It really does help when people cheer for you. I swear! And if it didn't, that's OK. They made me feel good:))

Anyway, that's my little bit today about the Charlotte Marathon. It was so fun to be a spectator. Those are truly some inspiring people out there. Congrats to each and every one of you! (you too Josh - so fun to see you out there! Congrats!!) Next year I'll be joining you - for the 1/2 that is:) I can't wait!

Pic today of a bundled up marathon Monkey.


1 comments:

Graham said...

Amen Sister, Amen.