Thursday, September 17, 2009

Working girl

I'm back in action. I'm a working girl again, returning to the world of public relations. I have to say, I lucked out in this scenario (ask me in a month or so if I'm still feeling lucky:). I contacted a former boss of mine who owns an ad agency here in town and asked if he was interested in me doing some part time PR work from home, say 15-20 hours per week. My thought process was, this allows me to spend the majority of my time with Eloise but also stay somewhat connected to the work world on the side. And then of course, make some extra cash.

He was a gamer and so much so that he immediately filled my schedule with all sorts of work. This is how it went down yesterday....I was at his office and I left with new business cards, a photo shoot, and my head spinning. He says, "You have a photo shoot tomorrow in Uptown. Can you make it? 10am. And what about a trip to PA to see a client in October? Also, as soon as you're ready, I'm going to get 3 more PR clients in the door." I say, "Uh, ok. A photo shoot? For what? Pennsylvania? Not sure about that. And what's with the business cards??" (2 full boxes no less. I'm looking at them like, what is my title?? Part-time PR Gal??)

The back story - My old said boss is a personality plus kind of guy. He's a salesman at heart and is one of those "sell an ice cream cone to an eskimo" types so leaving his office with a full agenda, a photo shoot, and a stack of business cards didn't surprise me. But, I will say, I was hoping my reentry into the working world would be a little less crazy. The good news is, we have a nanny in place now. She's here 13 hours per week so those are the definite hours that I will hide myself upstairs in a bedroom and get work done. And then on top of those hours, I'll work here or there when Eloise is sleeping or when Mike is home. Let's hope this set-up doesn't make me clinical. I have to admit, it's making my heart beat a little faster just typing this post. But hey, I can do it all, right?? Of course I can! I'll be the best mom I can be. I'll continue running. I'll work part time. I'll keep the house going. Oh yeah, and I'll be a great wife. No prob. I'm on it. (phew)

Ok, so here's the good part (thanks for bearing with me). I went to the "photo shoot" earlier today. The point of this is to get my bio and my mug up on this guy's company web site. You know, make it look like I'm a 'real' employee, as he says. I'm like, "But, I'm just this phantom PR gal sitting in a bedroom. Why put me on the web site?" ...."It's all about image, Allison. You know that better than I do." "Um, ok." Did I tell you they gave me an email address and a Blackberry? Yikes. So much for a part time gig, huh??

So it's time to laugh a little. Today's shoot, of course, produced what seems like 1 million pics. You know how photographers are. Take a ton of pics and hope one ends up being ok. Well, let me tell you, I'm not photogenic. It's ok. I'm alright with it. Self awareness is key. And the photographer is directing me saying, "do you use your hands when you talk?" Lord - if he only knew. Not only do I use my hands when I talk, but I never stop talking! 'Paid by the word' as Graham says. Good thing I found myself a gig in public relations. :)

And use my hands I did. "Put your hands out. Put them together. Point at me. Thumbs up, Allison!" Thankfully, these are the pics that will not make it past the editing room floor. I'm mean, really. Take a good gander at these things. Freaking hilarious!

 

2 comments:

Kim said...

I think these are great! Love the last one!!!

Corinna said...

WOW sister, that's a lot to process! So proud of you though for getting back on the horse, right back in the game. I'm sure you'll juggle it all with ease and still be the best Mom, ever. I have total confidence. Amen for the Nanny. Great idea. If it all becomes too much of a black-hole, you will just have to re-set the boundaries. Love you long time. When can we come visit again??? Hugs, C