Yesterday was a very busy day for the Monkey and me. We decided to travel up to GSO so we could get our paws on those super sweet Proctor babies. And it was well worth the trip! They are darling.What beautiful, beautiful little babies. So soft and sweet and just the most innocent little nuggets. There is not a lot more precious than new born babies. I'm so glad we went up there to see them. I believe they were about 23 hours hold by the time we met them. I saw Jack first and he melted my heart. And then I peeked in on Elizabeth sleeping so soundly in her litle beddy. I now defintiely believe in love at first sight. They are both so cute! And they are exactly 1 year and 3 weeks younger than the Monkey so I see lots of fun playdates, get togethers, vacations (and maybe even prom:) in our future. Congrats again John and Corinna! Your family was beautiful before, but now....cut it out. It can't get any better!
Our trip to see the babes was spontaneous. Well a little. On Thursday night I thought to myself....the Monkey and I need to go to GSO tomorrow and meet the Jack and Elizabeth. I don't work on Friday's, this is why I'm home with Eloise, so she and I can take little adventures like this. Let's do it! But sadly, some hesitation kicked in per usual because the Monkey, although better, is still not a rock star traveler. I was afraid of a screaming meltdown in the car where I could do nothing to help. The trip to GSO is maybe 90 minutes. I wrote down the directions to the hospital and it was a little longer than 90 minutes. I thought, we can do this, right? She's sleeping better during the day so maybe we go as soon as she's ready for her morning nap. I'll be ready, I'll have our bag packed and as soon as we see the eye rub, I'll hand over the monkey lovey and off we go. The plan worked out really well. And even with only a 30 minute nap in the car. She was entertained by her books and her toys and that got us there tear free. Then I got a little lost and backtracked us maybe 15 minutes and I believe Eloise screamed for that entire 15 minutes. Agh. Anyway, I got myself back on track and we got to the hospital around 11am. We stayed until Eloise's next nap and headed out around 1pm.
The Monkey was also great on the way home. I'm amazed at how great really because we got stuck in pretty bad traffic on I-85 where we were crawling for miles. I jumped off the highway and found another route but it was just as bad so back on the highway we went and there we sat. She still had not napped. It was nearing her next meal and I'll admit, my stomach was in knots anticipating full on Monkey meltdown with me literally in a position where I can do nothing to help. Nothing like being trapped on a highway going 5mph at best 60 miles away from home near "lunch" time with a baby who isn't napping.
Despite all odds, the Monkey looked at books the entire time and was quiet and seemingly enjoying herself. I, on the other hand, was ready to throw up from the self-induced anxiety attack I put on myself. I've never done that before. And it wasn't pretty. My mind was racing from all that I couldn't do to help the situation and all that I anticipated coming from the Monkey. If I had a bucket, I would have puked. I was sweating and nervous so a little shaky. Seriously, I'm losing it. Full on losing it. And like I said, she was fine back there. It was me who was the mess. As I said....LOSING it.
Anyway, about 20 miles from home the traffic got better and we were moving again. And at this time, the Monkey finally went to sleep. She was still napping when we got back to CLT so I just drove around a little while longer until she was ready to get up. Conclusion - it was well, well worth the trip and a great exercise for me, the insanely crazy mom who needs Xanax and Monkey, the getting-much-much-better-in-the-car-baby. We need to do this more often to hopefully make me less of a nut-job and to give her some more practice. Phew.
Updates from last week - the Monkey is full on with kicking a soccer ball around here. It's really cute. She showed Daddy all of her skills when he got back Thursday night. As each day went by she was getting better and better so when Daddy got home, she showed him up. Hilarious. And then when she's done with it all, no more kicking or playing, she throws her hands down and picks up the ball and starts walking around. Maybe she'll be a goalie?? :)
I can't rememer if I put this up here but the Monkey now "neighs" like a horse. That is as of this week. "Monkey, what's a horse say?" "Neigh neigh." She's also "mmmmmmm" as a cow but she can't get the full "mooooo" out yet. It's fun to hear her try. She also tries to parrot alot of words that I say. Dirt is "dir" and down is "dow". She's definitely interested in talking like us and tries her hardest.
This weekend is the 4th of July and we don't have any set plans. We have a sitter for tonight so Mike and I are going out for dinner and drinks, which will have been the first time in awhile. I'm very much looking forward to a night out on the town. Today we may take the Monkey to a different spraygrounds. Or we may go boating again. We just can't decide. I'd like to go running. At least a 10K because today is the Lakewood Firecracker 10K and I'm sad we aren't there to run it. The Monkey would have loved it. I'm going to try and make sure were there for next year's race. Oh and last year this time the Monkey was 3 weeks old and despite the fact that our neighbors were blasting fireworks off from their driveway (meanwhile we're in a very residential community where houses are close together. oh and we're pretty close to the city and police patrol our streets all the time. what were they thinking????), she slept right through it. I'm hoping for the same results this year. Fingers crossed.
This morning the Monkey and I ventured outside after her breakfast to enjoy some of this wonderful weather. It's cooled down and has made for some perfect playtime. Dirt was the main topic on the agenda today. Dirt, dirt and more dirt. Sweet Pea and the next door neighbor dog were in on the fun.


0 comments:
Post a Comment