Yesterday, we wanted to take the Monkey to a "Pick Your Own" farm, also called "PYO" in the world of farming (who knew??) and so I was able to quickly find one in the Ballantyne area. After seeing their web site and discovering where they were located, I realized that I've heard other moms talk about this exact farm. Perfect. Our plan was to head out after the Monkey's second nap, plenty of time to enjoy the outing and also burn some energy out of our "full-on" little Monkey. So she went down for her 2nd nap around 12:45pm and we were going to head out the door around 2:30pm-ish, depending on when she got up.
Here's when things started going down hill. The Monkey took a terrible nap. Only 32 minutes. Sigh. (Nap Update: the Monkey has now been regularly sleeping for about an hour per nap, I think due to her walking b/c this has been in place for about 4-6 weeks.). Then we headed on out to the Ballantyne area and took the roads vs. the highway turning a 35-40 minute trip into maybe 60 minutes. Bad idea. The Monkey is better in the car, as I've said, but not great so I either sing or put in mind numbing Kindermusik cd. Mind numbing cd was the winner.
We get to Ballantyne, which honestly isn't that far away but like I said, the route we took made it feel like we were in Georgia. We finally get there. The Monkey is fussing from what to her is a long car ride, combined with not taking a good nap and what do we find?? The farm is closed. What?? It's 3:45pm. Agh!! I'm so mad. The web site said it was open from 9am - 7pm daily. Hello, it's 3:45pm. Agh!!!
Alright so at this point, a good mom would have had a plan B. I have no plan B. The Monkey's fussing, we're in Ballantyne, have been in the car for 60 minutes, we're 35 minutes from home at best and I desperately need some kind of park, playground or something so I can get her out and and let her run around. Then to pile it on myself even further (is this my new thing??? painful.) I start thinking about how Mike is in town so seldom and here I am, driving around like an idiot taking us on baby outings to locations that aren't even open. Agh! "Honey, are you mad? Do you wish we had found something different to do?" Meanwhile, he's like, "You're being crazy. What's the big deal? We'll find a playground on the way home and she'll be fine." Which we did and she was.
So much for picking berries. Maybe another time. And the good news to try and top off the somewhat ruined afternoon, after the playground we found, we made a quick stop at ImaginOn before we came home so we could return her library books and get a new stash. Thus the day was not a complete waste.
I really would like to try this outing again but I'm a little annoyed by this initial experience. Maybe another time. I guess it's best if I call first. Today we're suiting up the Monkey in her new bike helmet and giving our neighbor's trailer a test drive. We want to get a bike trailer but first we thought it would be safe to see even she even likes it (and if she keeps her helmet on - not looking good since she refuses to keep hats on.). Pics later.


0 comments:
Post a Comment