I started to discover a new list forming in the Vail household and I've decided to call it the "Mike Tally". The list so far has been made up of all sorts of things Eloise was doing or not doing, including things not all that pleasant, that Mike similarly did or didn't do as a child. i.e. the Mike Tally.
Example - I came home from a playdate and said, "Eloise was a complete maniac at the ice cream shop and was totally not interested in ice cream. All the other kids were sitting nicely on their mommy's laps gobbling up ice cream and Eloise was charging up and down the aisles like a wind up toy." What does Mike say? "I never eat ice cream and I'm sure that's where she got it from. I bet her teeth are too sensitive like mine." (which is actually what I think is going on because she won't eat anything that is too cold including milk or veggies straight from the fridge.). There we have it - Mike Tally #1. Shall we start the list??
1) She won't eat ice cream (or anything cold).
2) She will go running (literally) into any body of water without one ounce of fear. The Mike Legend here was told through his parents who refused to buy a house on or near the lake we grew up by for fear Mike would seriously run right into it and hurt himself. Mike Tally #2.
So far the list is shallow but I have a sinking suspicion that it'll be growing as Eloise gets into more, her personality comes out, and she starts to get her wits about her. But you'll notice of those that are now officially on the Mike Tally list, none of these are all that great. One is more serious than the other, of course. And so far the trend appears to be innate traits - like those that just come with the complete package - i.e., not that easy to change. If there was an "Allison Tally" the list might include 1) Laughs at burps. Yes, she and I both laugh at burps and yes, I'm sure I'll regret this someday. But this was something taught . I have a chance at "un-teaching" that one. Running full speed into a pool because she's a water baby with no fear?? It's in the blood. Sensitive teeth? Again, in the blood.
So as we get to know the Monkey more, I'll be noticing her Mike-isms and jotting them down here under the "Mike Tally" label. Stay tuned as the Monkey becomes stubborn, cynical, and has a particular hankering for beer. Ahhhhhhhhh, just kidding. But, if she's anything like her daddy, those too could be added to her Mike Tally:)
Pics for today....the Monkey has accumlated quite a few pair of sunglasses and the irony is, she refuses to wear them. So during a recent "circus side show" meal time, I decided to whip them all out and let her try them on for size. Here are the results.


0 comments:
Post a Comment