The Food War with Eloise continues. Her on-again off-again love affair with breakfast, lunch and dinner has not only stuck deep down into her craw, but it's now become an exasperating part of my own proverbial craw. (which is likely the last time I will use the word "proverbial" as it annoys me to no end. for those who watch Real Housewives of New Jersey, i'm sure you can relate. if Danielle uses it one more time, i'm going through the TV at her. good thing the season is over.)
Back on track......Eloise is seriously hit or miss with food. Maybe about every 3rd meal is a good one so we're basically averaging 1 good "sit down and actually eat your food" session per day, which in my opinion, sucks. Here's the crux - she's either not hungry or she just wants to play with her food. The not hungry part I guess I can deal with but I need her to eat when it's meal time. I don't want to be chasing her around trying to shove a PB&J into her mouth while she's playing sanitation worker or airplane pilot. Or have her not get a good nap because her belly is grumbling at her. But at the end of the day, you can't force a baby to eat. So if she won't eat, she won't eat. My creativity has been completely exhausted here.
The playing with her food part is a catch 22. If I give her food to play with, I can get her to eat. Great. Awesome new trick to teach her, right? Yeah. That'll come back to bite me some day. Picture a nice restaurant, having dinner with the in-laws, for example, and the Monkey's grilled cheese arrives. What does she do? Within seconds, she grabs the entire sandwich, places one half in each hand and smooshes them like she's squeezing the last breath out of the poor sammies. The shock and awe of it even has the waiter stumped. Yup, that's my future.
Anyway, like I said, I can get her to eat if I give her enough food to play with. So for example, last week I got an entire container of applesauce in her - at this age, that's a pretty ridiculous amount of applesauce - because I let her take her grilled cheese and destroy it. Yes, I did pull a little off before giving it to her and actually fed her some. Yesterday I let her go to war with 2 forks and a meatball while I managed to stuff another meatball right into that little mouth of hers. Spaghetti? Forget it. That becomes the most fun food fight ever. And did you know that chunks of fruit make for the perfect obstacle course for cars? Oh and smeared yogurt can quickly become a perfect race track .(picture eloise running her fingers around in circles and chanting vrrrooommm, vrrroooommm, vrrroooom. i don't make these things up.) Kill me now.
Since I'm not successful, really, in getting her to eat, I thought the least I could do was be successful at documenting the madness I now refer to as The Food War.
Here we go....Eloise and Yogurt vs. Mommy and Meatball


0 comments:
Post a Comment