Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dowd YMCA 1/2 Marathon

Today was my own much anticipated 1/2 marathon race (running solo sans jog stroller, of course) and I'm really, REALLY pleased with the results. So proud that I'll even admit to you that I cried after the race was done. Crazy, I know.

I often think to myself....why am I doing all of this running?  It's a really lonely sport and I put on miles upon miles all by myself (of course most of them are with Eloise but it's not like we're talking or competing or coaching one another). But after today's race, now I know why I do it. I felt great throughout the entire run. A miracle in and of itself. With 13.1 miles, you never know when going too hard or going too slow will come back to bite you later in the race but today, I single-handedly planned out my own race, stayed on my own tempo and in the end, ran my PR again.

My fastest 1/2 prior to today was 1:37 something. I can't remember the seconds. It was a race I ran a long time ago and was in the middle of my marathon training at the time.  Today's race, I ran 1:37:26, (a 7:27 min/mile pace). Which was not in the middle of marathon training and makes me even more proud. I guess all of these miles I'm putting on weekly are worth it (not that I was questioning them. I love running. It's just who I am.). But when you start a race feeling as good as you do ending it, it's such a euphoric feeling, I can't even describe it.

I coached myself throughout the entire race. I looked at my watch each mile to ensure I stayed on tempo. I took "Gu" at the miles I mapped out in advance. I drank water at each station. I motored up each and every hill. And in the end, I did it. I did it!  Tears and all, I did it. I ran that dang 1/2 marathon with all my heart and I felt great doing it. I honestly don't think I could have run even one second faster and that's exactly how I want to end a race. I don't ever brag. I don't ever gloat. Shoot, I hardly talk about running (I guess except for this blog. Some of you may be sick of my running banter:). But just for 1 second today, 1 second after the race was done when my eyes filled with tears, I said to myself...You go girl!  You did an awesome job!

Photobucket

1 comments:

Corinna said...

OMG CONGRATS HONEY!!! I am such a slacker - I forgot it was Saturday!!!! So proud of you, my little runner friend. what a good running time. That stroller + 17 month old sitting in the stroller have definitely done wonders. It must have felt so light to run without it. Congrats again sister. Well done!