I've decided it's Craft Week at the Vails and so with that I have a couple of goals that I'd like to accomplish. Aside from the crafts, one other goal is I will hit 100 miles by the end of the month, which is Friday. I have 16.5 miles left to run. I can do it! Now the other goals I've laid out, those are the crafty ones and unfortunately, already in question.
I'm not crafty. I've mentioned this before. But I'm a total crafty-wanna-be. And I was inspired from a weekend trip to Raleigh for Corinna's baby shower. Her mom was also in town and she's is Super crafty, capital S. (she even traveled to Raleigh with her sewing machine. hello!) She and I got talking and aside from wanting to rent her for about 10 days to get this house into shape, she gave me 10,000 ideas that I can deliver on myself. My uncrafty self.
So with that, let the projects begin.
First off, I've wanted a chalkboard for our kitchen forever. I want it to hang on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. I haven't exactly figured out the right size but it's purpose is much needed around here with Mike traveling and my brain left at CMC about 10 1/2 months ago. Helpful reminders written down are key so alas, the chalkboard is apart of Craft Week. But I got thinking that maybe I can paint a chalkboard on the wall myself and then frame it. The chalkboard paint that is available makes this entire concept seem very easy. The framing part might get tricky but I'm going to huff it over to Lowes and see what I can come up with. Wish me luck.
Next, I'd like to hang drapes in the dining room. For a long time I've wanted to turn this otherwise masculine home into being a pinch more feminine. I'm not talking about lace tableclothes and fake flowers but just a tidbit here or there to make things more girly. Things around here are very angular and very "strong". The colors are also pretty masculine so the drape idea unfolds. Also I've always been intimidated by hanging drapes - what do I buy, where do I hang them, how far above the woodwork do I start drilling holes?? Too many questions remain. But with Corinna's mom's help, I'm feeling good about giving this a try. And I've selected the smallest room in the house with the smallest set of windows. I figure I best start with a relatively easy drape project and go from there.
Then my mind gets going since I've rooted myself in a dining room/kitchen makeover....what if I bought some neat plates to hang on the wall? Or finally got some of the green accents I wanted in the kitchen?? Those ideas don't involve much craftiness but all seem to fit together nicely.
Now onto my next goal - I must accomplish all of this before Friday when Mike gets back from Orlando. He won't freak out about what I'm doing so it's not like I'm doing it behind his back. But I know if I asked his opinion on any of the above, he'd say something like, "I don't know, do we really need drapes?" "Plates that hang from the wall? I eat off of plates." And I'd say, "well, all of this will be nice compliments to the rug and make this room more homey. What do you think?" And that's when his head would spin, he'd reach desperately for the remote and all of a sudden the MLB channel would be on and Papelbon would be pitching the last inning for the win. So I'm just going to go for it and set this deadline for myself and see what happens. I have the baby whisperer here on Wednesday and Thursday so that will be a nice time to run any errands that I may need to accomplish my projects. I'll take before and after pics so I can show you what I've been up too.
Again, wish me luck!
BTW - as I type, the baby is behind me pushing her toy bin around the room while walking. It's still holding toys and so she's reaching in there while she's walking. Clever little girl!


0 comments:
Post a Comment