Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lazy 5 Ranch

This is turning into an outing filled week. Today, my Mom and I took the Monkey to Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville. What a cool place. Definitely worth the drive and to be expected, it's in the middle of nowhere. Who would have thought you could go 45 minutes from downtown CLT and see zebras and giraffes??  Oh and they also have a boat load of ostriches, which I will now unequivocally say, scare me to death. Like right up there with snakes in my book. They are HUGE and scary. They have enormous talon-like feet (or maybe they are talons) that seriously could do some damage if they wanted too. And their necks - agh. They are just so gross. Oh, and they growl at each other. Seriously. Ok, sorry. I'm on a tangent about something I didn't like. The place was really cool and definitely worth the voyage. They have a petting zoo for the little kiddos. Tons of different kinds of birds in big cages and some roaming free. Buffalo, goats, bunnies, llamas, deer, pot bellied pigs, and as their site says, at least 742 other kinds of animals there for all to enjoy.

After the petting zoo we decided to take the car tour, which is what this place is really known for.  Unfortunately, Eloise wasn't as into the tour as we were. Instead she had a meltdown in the car while we're driving 5mph (park speed limit), single file on dirt roads with nearly domesticated llamas, goats and ostriches charging the car demanding food from my Mom. I never laughed so hard!  I felt bad for the Monkey but honestly, there was nothing I could do but keep driving and enjoy the crazy scenary going on around us. Then in the midst of it all, Mike calls from the ATL airport. The Monkey is full on screaming, my Mom is basically kissing a charging llama whose head is at this point now in the car with us and me trying to tell him how scary ostriches are. It was like a movie. Where could this have all happened all at once, really? Hilarious!

Pics.


My mom trying to get the peacock to open it's feathers.



Scary ostriches.



The car tour.


And my Mom and the Monkey checking out the llamas.



 
Photobucket

1 comments:

Kim said...

This sounds hilarious! Stacie and I were chatting about it in the office and great of a writer you are. You always make the trips sound so fun! Also there is a zoo in Asheboro that is walking only, but great none the less!