Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday's updates - teething continues in a big, red, chapped lip sort of way

Happy Friday all - To start things off, here is Positive K with "I got a man". Another old school song that reminds me of high school and going to Hilton Head with Graham. Too funny. And check out the ad before the song. Nice touch YouTube. I guess that was just a matter of time, right? Agh. Listen here.

Teething is so crazy out of contol here it's at the point of no return. Or at least that's how Mike and I feel when we wake up what seems like 100 times per night to help the crying Monkey.  I keep a log of the Monkey's eating and sleeping throughout the day. I started this when she was 1 month old (not sure I was with the program prior to 1 month but I wish I had jotted it down then as well). It's a great tool to have when you have such major baby brain that you literally can't remember the last time she did either. And also it'll be a great keepsake someday since I also jot down notes about milestones and funny things she does. So with this blog and my daily eat/sleep log, this baby is well documented.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I also track when we get up at night. And up until about 3 or 4 weeks ago, it had been awhile since I had to jot down times we got up because she's happily slept through the night for months. Well then we met Mr. Teething and our world has never been the same.

This morning when we woke up - well actually it was the final time I woke up for the crying Monkey, which happened to be at 4am where I promptly changed her diaper and brought her to bed with us. (it's the only way to stop the madness and it's something I indulge in on occasion. creating a bad habit? probably. add it to the list.) - I was greeted with our next teething side effect - a big, red, chapped bottom lip. (i'll try and get a pic of this later. she's napping now.) I couldn't believe it. I honestly thought that she had whacked her lip up against the rail of her crib or something. But then she showed Mommy how she got this big swollen teething battle wound when she started sucking away. Sigh. I looked it up online (at 7:30am when we got up for real) and it's totally something babies do to find relief when they are teething. Finger sucking, thumb sucking, lip sucking, the list goes on and on.

And you know what, I love how some kids breeze through teething like it "aint no thang." And then we have Miss Eloise. Have I ever mentioned that Eloise is a sensitive baby??? Holy cow. So we've got the chilled teething toys back out and in full effect. She's finally figured out that they are a good source of relief, so much so that we've caught her jamming them between her bottom lip and her gums. Poor thing. I've also called the Dr. about the amount of Tylenol and Motrin that I'd like to give her vs. what I am giving her and it's safe to say, she's been properly medicated. (It honestly felt like I was constantly giving her medicine. That's not my goal or something I want to do at all but this poor baby is in serious pain.)             

And despite all of this teething madness, she is still a happy, smiley baby. I should say, she's a happy, smiley baby during the daytime. She was a giggle maniac with Grammie Judy yesterday. Yes, she's definitely sad and crying at night. (do I need to start putting teething toys in her crib at night? something to think about.) I think the nighttime is by far the worst for her. She has no way to soothe herself besides her fingers, her thumbs and alas, her bottom lip.

Ok, so on to pictures. This week I tried something new. I tried to snap pics of the Monkey without the camera up to my face. Not an easy task - nor something I'd recommend. My goal was to get pics of her smiling, which I can never do because as soon as I put the camera up to my face, she's Miss Serious or Curious Eloise. No smiles to be had. But she's a smile machine right now. It's really cute. So I wanted to do my best to get some shots. And here we go. I'm showing you all of them because I think there are some that are too funny - proving that my attempt to take pics without looking through the eye piece isn't really the best idea. Lol!

Have a great weekend!








(btw - she started out this photo shoot in front of the play mat - then she pushed herself around the corner and ended up on the other side thus showing us her perfect John Travolta 'Staying Alive' costume impersonation with that sweet chest sticking out. too funny.)

0 comments: