Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The pepper spray incident

Yes, we had a pepper spray incident.  And yes, it was in the house. But first and foremost, the baby is fine. Talk about needing to take a serious inventory and survey of this house and truly baby proofing it. Today was a total wake up call. Holy cow!

Ok, I'll be brief. I feel it's all my guilty conscience can take on this one. I have a handheld pepper spray do-hicky that I used to bring with me when I went running in the dark. I also have these crazy flashing lights to prevent someone from hitting me. All of these gadgets have since been retired because I'm just flat out too scared to run by myself at night.

So that's the good news. Only daylight running for me.  Now the bad news. The handheld pepper spray contraption had been retired to a frequently used drawer in our kitchen. It's been there for months and honestly, I forgot we even owned it. Well the baby whisperer was looking for a screw driver today so she went into this drawer - because as I said, it's a catch-all drawer and to her, god only knows what truly lives in here - and accidently hit the pepper spray button and fired it off into the kitchen. She freaked out. And rightfully so, she had the Monkey within 3 feet of her. Thank god she was not actually holding her but she was literally steps away sitting on the floor of the dining room.  So she grabbed Eloise and ran her upstairs, put her into her crib and turned on her mobile to entertain her. Then ran back downstairs and started opening doors, windows and turning on the fans. Miraculously she did not take any of this in herself even though it was so close to her face. And as I said, thank god the baby was not in her arms.

No one was harmed from the pepper spray incident but seriously, what is wrong with Mike and me???  Pepper spray in our kitchen?? Have we lost our minds??  Oh yeah and then of course this prompts a serious inventory on my behalf of all the baby proofing our kitchen needs ASAP. That's this weekend's MUST-DO project and from what I've heard, it'll take at least the weekend to get the kitchen cabinets proofed.  As of this very second, if the baby was super fast and better at crawling, she'd be able to get herself into a cabinet full of tools, an entire bar full of alcohol, several cabinets of dishes, and an "under the sink area" FULL of every poisonous and toxic cleaning product you could possibly think of.  Pepper spray aside, our house is a complete baby landmine. I'm almost afraid to walk in there myself. Seriously, take our parents license away this very second. I needed to vent. I'll post something that actually has entertainment value later today.

Photobucket

0 comments: