I signed up for the full deal. The screaming, the whining, the babbling and yammer but I've realized that the quiet times Eloise and I spend together are truly the best. She helped me realize this just today.
Wednesday is garbage day at the Vail residence and therefore, "big white trucks" go by several times throughout the morning. Eloise loves nothing more than to hold on to the window sill and watch the big trucks go by once and then again picking up recycling and the trash. She stands there and watches as I watch her. She stares in sheer amazement as the big truck stops then goes again. Stops at our neighbors and then goes again. Repeat, repeat. She's quiet. I'm quiet. I always wonder what is going through her head. And then I give her a once over and check out how tall she is getting and how sometimes when the truck makes a loud noise, she gets up on her tippy toes. Does she see more when she's on those tippies? Sometimes her legs slide far apart because she has socks on and then she catches herself and puts her feet back together again. And sometimes she leans in and kisses the glass or reaches up high and slaps her hand on the window. All this time, she has her eyes fixated on the "big white truck." And I have my eyes fixated on her. And she's quiet. And I'm quiet. It's really nothing more than garbage day but these moments of silence have us both thinking. She's thinking about how cool that truck is and I'm thinking about how amazing she is.
Then the moment of silence is broken. The Monkey turns around and realizes I'm starring. She giggles a little and slides down on her knees and crawls over to me. She puts her head in my lap and starts sucking her thumb. Our silent time together is over. It's nap time so together we head upstairs.


0 comments:
Post a Comment