We scored big today on discovering a fun new activity for the Monkey. The Latta Park Splashgrounds in Dilworth. There was a neighborhood playdate there recently but we couldn't go so I slotted the idea away in the back of my mind. Then today, we all seemed to be feeling better so I thought that would be a fun afternoon adventure and it ended up being even more fun than I expected. The Monkey went crazy. I never thought of her as being brave or a dare devil but after maybe 2 minutes of figuring this place out she took off. Literally. She was all over the place. In and out of the spraying water, through the water troughs, cruising by other kids, grabbing at balls and squirt guns. She went nuts in there. After diligently following her around like a mad woman, I said to one of the other moms, "I need a Xanax." And I meant it. The Monkey was scared of nothing and therefore went into each spray with a playtime determination I've never seen before. I thought for sure she'd be more reserved. Apparently not at the splashgrounds. She even took a header into the trough of water because she was crawling too fast and her arm got caught underneath her. Did it stop her? No. Not even the fact that she took in a good amount of water from the incident and was choking. (Xanax PLEASE!) We hugged it out and helped her get through the coughing and then she pointed down and so back down she went.
It also was perfect timing for our splashground debut. There was a birthday party going on so there were tons of blow up zoo animals (yes she liked the monkey, but she also liked the elephant, lion and zebra as well) and balls all over the place. We also made some fun new friends with Charlie (Charlese - Charlie for short), who was born on 6/10/2009 (at Presby otherwise we literally would have been sharing a maternity ward:) and her brother Cole, who was 6. Oh and Raphael, the 15 month old who was taking on the splashgrounds and his new skill of walking with a vengeance. He was hilarious. And Asian and Spanish. What a cute little boy. I loved him. Diversity makes my heart melt. Pics coming in one second on today's fun activity.
But first, I need to make a note on today's awesome run. It surprised me really. I'm not 100% health-wise but woke up feeling better so a run today was definitely in the cards. After the Monkey's morning nap I strapped her into the Bob and off we went. And I felt really good from the beginning so I took off a little faster than usual. I don't wear a watch much anymore. I ditched this habit a while back. I just run for fun and however long or far I go, I go. But today I actually wish I could have timed it. It would have been interesting to see because I felt great the entire time and so I kept picking up the pace. I discovered a new route (Actually created it as I went based on the Monkey's status. If she fusses, I head towards roads with more traffic. For some reason, cars keep her entertained. And then when she's relaxed, we can go on some of the quieter streets.) Anyway, 7.75 miles mapped out later, and we were home. And I could have gone further. But by that point, the Monkey was ready to stop and we were back here at the house so that was it. So much for still not being able to hear, taste or smell and having a cough and a nose drain. It makes for good running, I guess:)
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program - the splashgrounds!
First off - here it is....(we're over on the far right hand side)


0 comments:
Post a Comment