Friday, December 18, 2009

Friday's updates

Since the rice cereal spit up explosion, or multiple spit up explosions, we stopped giving it to Eloise all together and as of today, we're going to try oatmeal. I talked to the pediatrician and they suggested I try oatmeal next (make sure it's very soupy) and give it to her after all of her crazy spit up spells have subsided. By yesterday she was back to normal so I made a Target run last night and today we'll try something new and see how this goes. I do wonder if I didn't make the rice cereal soupy enough and that was the problem. I also didn't buy organic rice cereal, which I now regret. Maybe there was something whacky in there that her little belly couldn't tolerate. Mistakes made, won't happen again. I purchased organic oatmeal and I'll whip up a soupy mess for her later today. Delish.

In other Monkey news, she is opening and closing her hands non-stop these days. Every waking hour is spent with her opening and closing them whether she's holding something or not. Honestly, it's like she has some sort of palsey. (not to imply my  little one has an impairment but it's non-stop.) Of course I had to ask someone more qualified than I about this and the baby whisperer said the other 6 month old she watches (and her nephew who is also 6 months) does the same thing. Phew. She's way into textures so I figured the opening and closing of her hands was related to this and all that she wants to touch and eat. But often she'll be quite content "grabbing" as I'll call it, at nothing but thin air. Open close, open close. It's actually pretty cute but I did want to make sure this was another step in her discovery process rather than something else. We need to have another kid. Then I won't be such a nut-case. Lord.

Today (or maybe this weekend - it's snowing right now and the thought of going out doesn't sound appealing. the drivers will be freaking and i don't want to deal with it.) we are going to check out kids consignment stores. I've looked into them online and there are quite a few in the area. Eloise is growing and changing like mad and that is basically coming down to the simple fact that I can't buy stuff fast enough for her. It's getting a little ridiculous. She honestly gets bored of toys and books. (confession - maybe it's me who gets bored of the stuff around here.) Here's my invention - there should be some sort of "toy swap" or "toy rotation" around here amongst families. Just to keep everything fresh and interesting for the kiddos. We could do a weekly or monthly switch-a-roo. I Elosie would love it. Anyway, absent of a legit "toy swap" program, I'll be heading to some consignment shops to see if I can get some new, interesting stuff for Eloise on the cheap.  I've never been to one of these before so I'm not sure what I'll be getting myself into. I'm imagining it's just like going to TJMaxx or Marshalls. There are good days and bad and be prepared to dig.  Actually, now that I type this, I may bring Mike with me. He can bop around with the Monkey while I hunt and dig. That would probably work best.

As far as milestones go, Eloise is trying her darnest to get those knees up underneath her and then up on all fours. She's done it a couple of times and then screams and drops back down to her tummy. She'll get there but she's not there quite yet. For now she's perfectly happy rolling from destination A to destination B. Also, we've been practicing sitting and if I spread her legs a part where they will support her, she'll balance herself unassisted for maybe 10-15 seconds. Another milestone that we've not hit but likely coming soon. Stay tuned.

Oh, and update on following the Drs advice for the nighttime wake-ups. Going in and talking to Eloise and saying...."It's night night time. Mommy and Daddy are sleeping. It's time to go to sleep." actually works. We've been doing it all week and as of last night she didn't wake up once. So awesome!

For today's pics, here is the Monkey sitting on the back porch. As you'll see, she's super squirmy and super distracted (neighbor's german sheppard). I haven't done outside pics in awhile because it's so chilly here. The chilly factor is also affecting my Bob running, which is a serious bummer. I keep thinking it's too cold to bring the Monkey outside (beyond when I have too) so unless I have someone to watch her, I don't go running.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid and she'd be fine in there. I don't know. Temps in the 30s-40s seem cold for a baby for 45-60 minutes, even behind the plastic shield that the Bob comes with. Crazy?

Also, I'm attaching a pic of my neighbor's house from earlier today to show you that we did actually get snow. See up on their roof?? You have to look very closely. :)

Happy Friday!






0 comments: