The Monkey is 9 months old today! Happy birthday, Monkey! I will confess, I was so preoccupied with today's cruddy weather and if it would affect our scheduled photo shoot that I didn't properly wish the Monkey a happy day until probably after lunch time. I'm so bad. Mom of the year once again. Needless to say, the shoot was cancelled and isn't back on the calendar until April. At which point, we will be calling this the 10-month photo shoot. Bummmmmmmmmer! Jen and Chris Hunt are super mega busy so I'm not complaining. I just wish today was nice and sunshiney to celebrate our little girl but instead it was rainy and dreary and Mommy chose to fill it with many cups of hot cocoa.
Our Drs appt is tomorrow so I'll be sure to update the blog with her latest stats. I'm throwing out a weight guess just for the heck of it - she's eating us out of house and home and so therefore, my money is on 20 lbs. She was 18 lbs 6 oz at her appt when she was sick a month ago so I'm guessing she's reached the 20's. Stay tuned.
Speaking of weight gain, the Monkey is on an eating terror. She's taking down more food than ever. It's pretty impressive. Before she'd have maybe a few tablespoons of some apples/blueberries or oatmeal and bananas, whatever the day's combo was and now she'll put down and entire jar of whatever we open on top of getting into a little more of another. This is like a week-over-week change too. Just in the last few days has this ferocious appetite peeked its head out to meet us.
And on top of the crazy amount of food she's eating, this girl is a serious carnivore. I've been avoiding the jarred baby food that includes meat from the beginning. Even though we buy all organic, I just couldn't do the meat products. That might be a bad decision as what if I taint her little taste buds, but ground up meat in a jar, I just couldn't do it to her (and it doesn't help that I've heard from others that baby food with meat in it is one step away from cat food. ahhhhh!).
Anyway, Mike came home with some chicken/veggie combos (organic again) and busted them open. And what happens?? The Monkey slams it down like she's never had food before. Unbelievable. She's now doing a complete jar at a sitting like I said above. Thankfully Mike bought this because it's actually not that bad (who would have known if he didn't bring it home and force us to try it?). The saving grace is there are no chunks. It's just smooth baby food that happens to be meat. Agh - still kind of grosses me out but I'll stop my adversion. She loves it. It's organic. It's good for her so again, I won't displace my weird eating "isms" onto my daughter. On to the next topic....
As I've said before, Eloise loves to pull herself up to a standing position. We even tried to put the legs on the music table tonight to see if it was the right height for her to begin using to help herself up but it's still a little too tall. She has used our bathroom cabinet pulls and the sofa (both just one time) to pull herself up but the vast majority of the time when she pulls up, it's with our help. I got a cute pic of it today and will post below.
She continues to crawl like a maniac and has impeccable balance while sitting. It's amazing what a little muscle machine she is. These babies really become so strong so quickly. She can maneuver from crawling to sitting to up on her knees and any of the above combination in a matter of moments. She just zips all over this place. It's hilarious to watch. I love that she has this much motion control too because it means she's past the "bumps and bruises" stage of crawling for now. Once she gets into walking, we'll reenter the "bumps and bruises" stage again. With every new skill she develops we have that initial period of having to stay very close to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. Then once she gets the hang of it, she's off to the races.
I don't think I've ever mentioned this before but Eloise is a really great independent player. By this I mean, she has no issue doing her own thing and playing by herself. She's not left alone to do this often but I think it's important for her to entertain herself and have independent play from time to time and she's proven to be quite fine with it. She certainly doesn't need us to entertain her or to be hovering around making things happen. She figures them out, decides what she wants to play with, and goes for it. I actually enjoy sitting in the background and watching what she discovers and tinkers around with. Kids are fascinating.
Today, I took our usual orange chair photos and also captured 2 videos. The first is very short. She was up in the chair and is too squirmy for me to video her so I took a quick one and then placed her on the floor where you will see the second, longer video.
Stats from her appt to be posted tomorrow.


0 comments:
Post a Comment