Sunday, March 14, 2010

Checkers pooch party

The Checkers Pooch Party was really fun. There were dogs everywhere, including a 220 lbs bull mastiff that I kindly asked if I could get a picture with. (after Chris, Erika and Gavin gave us the scoop that he was also at the game.) This dog was insane. Most of the pups were sitting next to their owners in the stands but not this guy. He was far too large to get in the aisles of the arena and watch a little Checkers hockey. Just as well. He was a serious spectacle getting love from every passerby. Kids were climbing on him like a jungle gym and then the rest of us were just in awe. It's not every day you see a dog this big. And he was a complete snuggle bunny. So sweet. He even laid his head right in my lap! Oh and get this - he eats 10 cups of food a day, and on top of this, a whole chicken. Yup, you heard that right. A whole chicken. Here are a few pics of this guy and then I'll get into the hockey deets.

When we first arrived we saw Chubby Checker, my favorite local mascot. I have a thing for mascots. Maybe it started when I was a kid. I think they are so cute and so super entertaining. (you should have seen me when I got my picture taken with Wally from the RedSox. highlight of my trip to Boston.)  So once again, I kindly asked it we could get our picture taken with him. Then Monkey was mesmerized.



Dogs were everywhere!

As I said, Erika, Chris and Gavin came and Wendy too. We had great seats with tons of room for all of us to spread out where we didn't bump into anyone and we could let the kiddos down to wander around a little.


We filled quite a bit into our afternoon. After seeing Chubby, then the giant bull mastiff, Gavin and Chris found the Checkmates:)



Then we watched the Weiner Dog Race...
And last but not least, some Vail family hockey shots. As shown in each picture of Eloise, I think she was in super stim mode. LOTS to look and listen too all afternoon. (oh, and in case you were wondering, the Checkers won. 4-2. i know it looks like we didn't really watch the game.  well, I'll admit, i didn't watch it even for 1 minute. but i never do. i love everything else going on.)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kim said...

We went to the pooch party too! I saw it on your blog so another couple and us went with our pooches. We saw the bull mastiff too, our friends had the smaller version of that guy, their dog is only 130 but he looks just like the huge mastiff. I have some pics on facebook! Too funny, too bad we didnt get to see you all! Miss Eloise is growing so big and cute, I enjoy reading about her progress!

Allison said...

Kimmy - I'm so sad we missed you guys but am so glad you went. Weren't the dogs too cute? And 130 lb mastiff isn't anything to sneeze at! I love the big dogs - well, and the weiner race was hilarious. I was rooting for the long haired guy to win but I think he got 2nd. Too cute! Hope you are doing well. How's the wedding planning coming? It's almost here! How exciting!