Monday, March 15, 2010

Goulash

Before I get into the Monkey's meal today I must say that daylight savings time is screwing with more people than Eloise. I can't believe it's 7:28pm right now and it's light enough for me to jet out of here and go for a run. Of course, I'm not going to jet out of here and go for a run but the idea is a good one. We already ran today and also, Mike's out of town. But regardless, it's nearly 7:30pm and it's so light out.  (it's like I've never been through daylight savings time or something.)

Tonight was the first night the Monkey really had a hard time going down. (who can blame her. i could have sat on the floor of her bedroom and read a book it was so light in there.) Yesterday she was completely warn out from the hockey game so she must not have realized it was so bright in her room. But tonight was tough. I finally got her to settle down after about 20 minutes of rocking her and I never rock her - for naps or bed time. I read quite a few stories about how daylight savings time is a complete nightmare for parents. Kids of all ages struggle with this and honestly, I completely understand. I guess I was so used to it being dark out before I took Eloise upstairs that it completely threw me off as well. Anyway, we'll all adjust.

Ok, goulash. There are 10 million goulash recipes out there and mine is likely not similar to any of them. Some may call my goulash "baked ziti" but to me it's goulash. It includes pasta, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, cheese and ground turkey. I whip it all together and then bake it for 35 minutes on 350 degrees. Cook the pasta and ground turkey first, of course. It's a staple around the Vail household and if any of you have had babies, it's likely been dropped off on your front stoop courtesy of moi.  It's simple, it's delish and it's easy to freeze, reheat, etc.  Warm comfort food. Well since I knew Mike was going to be out of town from today through Thurs night, I whipped up some goulash last night and we ate it for dinner. Then we had tons of leftovers that I can munch on all week. My first helping was today for lunch and so I cut up a bunch and gave it to the Monkey for her lunch as well. And.....she loved it! Which is perfect because it's another "real food" meal I can add to her diet and it's good for her. We have plenty left so I hope she's feeling like goulash tomorrow and the next day and the next day...

Here she is - my little goulash girl.


Photobucket

0 comments: