The Monkey has a serious case of diaper rash that has called for Operation Hiney at the Vail household. Reinforcements have been called in, strategies have been laid out, and the troops are on the ground making their way towards the enemy line.
The poor little Monkey is hurting. And sadly I think it's my rookie mistake of having her in swim diapers for 3 days in a row. Saturday we were at the spraygrounds. Sunday we busted out the water table here at the house, and then of course Monday was the first boating trip. She wasn't in her swimmers for all that long on any of said days but combine them all together (and maybe add in a little of that green lake water from Monday - yikes) and we have a bright red bum shaking her little tail feathers around here.
I called the Dr's office today and spoke to a nurse. Here's the plan of attack....
1) Stop using baby wipes immediately. Done - no more baby wipes until the rash is completely gone.
2) Purchase Lotrimin AF. In case there is some sort of yeast infection, this will knock it out. Apply this 4 times per day to a completely dry bum and then follow up with a heavy dallop of Desitin. Done - purchase has been made and she got her first lather before bedtime tonight.
3) Purchase Maalox. Maalox?? Disolve tablet and apply to bum with a cotton ball every other time you use Lotrimin AF. Purchase has been made. We haven't done this step yet.
4) Soak Monkey in a warm tub a few times a day with a 1/2 cup of baking soda. Done - she soaked in a bath of baking soda this afternoon and for her bath tonight we did this again and also added an Aveeno oatmeal bath treatment.
5) Use a hair dryer to dry her bum. A hair dryer?? Done - my hair dryer has been moved over to the Monkey's bedroom and I used it tonight to dry her tush when she got her last diaper of the day with her PJs.
6) Diaper free time. Done - she spent about an hour total today with no diaper on cruising the house naked-nudey. Only one pee pee (or tee tee, as we call it) accident, but to be expected and I had towels on hand waiting for the tinkle to appear.
After 3 days if the rash doesn't clear up we're to go to the Dr. I'm hoping even by tomorrow it will knock down a red tone or two on the color chart. Something fierce is going on down there. Poor, poor Monkey.
So of course, I had to take some hiney shots to commemorate Operation Hiney. And as soon as I got a shot of her behind, she turned around and perfectly placed the stroller in front of her girl parts. That's my Monkey!


3 comments:
We have ben experiencing the same thing because of the swimmies I think! We loaded him up with desitin, and loaded the diaper with baby powder and bam, gone! My mom told me to let him run around naked, so I did! I let him run around the back yard naked for an hour, and he pooped (acting just like the dogs!!!!!) LOL
If your strategy doesn't work I HIGHLY recommend Calmoseptine. It's over the counter but you have to typically ask for it at the pharmacy. A doctor at the hospital where we work told Wilson about it when Sullivan was a newborn. It's worked like a champ every time. :)
Julie - I'm going to get that tomorrow. We're only 1 day in but it still looks bad. I'm just trying to avoid a weekend Dr. visit. Blah. Thanks for your advice!
Post a Comment