Friday, June 18, 2010

Toxic food, toxic sunscreen

Wow, it's been a busy morning. In just about 30 minutes I've learned that many different types of baby foods (including organic brands) contain lead - complete list of offenders here. Then I go on a tangent with a friend about it that then sparks a little research project on the toxins included in sunscreen discussed here. So I quickly did some digging and found the "21 Best Natural Sunscreens" because of course, the sunscreen that I put on Eloise - and is nearly gone - contains the toxins in question. Seriously?? Is anything safe?  We live in the United States of America for crying out loud. It's not like I'm letting her lap up water from a mosquito-ridden, Malaria-infested swamp each morning.  Or that I'm so ignorant that I don't know the deadly effects of the sun and of lead poisoning.  But yet despite my best efforts, clearly they aren't enough.

So here it is. My declaration. I'm done with chemicals and I'm done with being naive about products I buy and feed and/or apply to my daughter. And I thought I was doing so well with watching everything that I eat and that she eats. We only buy organic. I polish her off daily with sunscreen and I've been so protective of the crazy amount of strange objects she puts in her mouth throughout the day. I even made her have a lead test at her 1 year appt the other day.  That's not a test they just administer any more. You have to request it.  But that girl is fast. It's hard to keep her oral fixation under control so I felt it was best to have one done. Yet, despite feeding my baby only organic food and putting no less than 50 SPF sunscreen, I'm potentially harming her. Come on. Really??? I need a glass of wine. And it's only 9:36am.

Photobucket

0 comments: