Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sleep training update 2

The rest of the day continued as planned. One nap was brutal and 2 others were good. Lord, this is seriously a process. It's VERY difficult to hear the crying. I REALLY, really hate it. But the good news is, we got through one stressful cry and overall, the Monkey was a very happy baby today. Lots of smiles and laughing. That's my girl. This is all worth it Monkey, I promise.

Also, Mike means well, but sadly, with him being home today - day 2 of sleep training - he's a distraction to the process. After I put Eloise down, and I know the crying has started, I just want to sit on the front porch (where I can't hear her), read a book and get myself lost in other thoughts. I like to have the baby video monitor right next to me with the sound off, the picture off and only the color coded sound ticking bar in my line of sight so I can keep an eye on the crying from time to time.

Instead, Mike would rather look at the Monkey, turn the sound on and talk to me about the sleep training process. Ugh. I finally had a minor meltdown (I'm so sorry, honey) and I had to ask him to leave the house. I apologized up and down but the bottom line is, when the Monkey cries like this, it makes me very tense. It upsets me and the more he wanted to discuss it and touch the monitor and look at her and fiddle with the sound, it honestly sent me right over the edge. The faster she gets this napping thing down, the sooner I'll not be stressed about it. But in the mean time, while she cries, I sit on the front porch and try to lose myself in a book, with an occasional glance over to the monitor to see if the color coded bar has backed down to green and not maxed out in the red area. Sigh.

Results...

Nap 2 today - Cried for 42 minutes. Slept for 35. (brutal.)

Nap 3 today - Didn't cry at all. (yes!) But only slept for 26 minutes. (not good.)

Nap 4 today - I tried to get her down for her 4th and final nap of the day and she just wasn't getting drowsy enough. I don't think it's fair to place her in the crib unless I know she's zonked out drowsy. This way, I know she's on her way to dream land vs. laying there and not even tired. Anyway, she wasn't interested. So instead, we went for a long stroll around the neighborhood. (Have I mentioned we've really taken a turn for the good on our walks?? She's into them now. It's so awesome. We go at least 2 times a day. I'm so glad she finally likes them.) During our stroll tonight, she actually fell asleep in the stroller. So not only does she now like walks, she's actually falling asleep in the stroller?? I almost died (insert Rachel Zoe voice inflection here - love her, btw.). Anyway, I wasn't going to wake her up and although a moving/stroller nap isn't technically a good one, she was zonked out so I let her be. So no crying. Slept for 32 minutes.

Day 2 Tally:

Total crying minutes: 51

Total sleeping hours/minutes: 2 hours and 10 minutes

Day 3 of sleep training tomorrow.

One of my favorite Monkey pics. Mommy loves you sooooooooooooo much, Eloise!


0 comments: