Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sleep training update

We're one day in on the sleep training project and things are going well - I think. I'm obviously not experienced in this category so I think things are going well.

Here's the plan and here are the results so far...

Background - After weeks of unsuccessfully trying to get Eloise to sleep on her own for naps, I've elected to try finally the "cry it out" method. It's not the easiest choice to make but I feel like we've got to do it. Things have been getting worse in the nap category and my options have been exhausted. Ok, "cry it out" sleep training it is. Here we go....

The plan so far - I use my standard "wind down" pre-nap routine. I take Eloise upstairs to her room, the blinds are drawn. I rock her in the chair while giving her part of a warm bottle and use my classic "shhhhhh......" noise that I have been using since she was born. When she gets drowsy and has decided she is done with the bottle, I place her in the crib. Each time her eyes have immediately popped open - as she did before - so I rub her tummy and continue the "shhhhhhhhhhhhh......" noise for a couple of minutes, and then I leave the room. And I don't return. That's the tough part but I feel like I have to do it.

So each time, she's cried, as we expected. The only way I feel like I can get through this sleep training is to get to a place where I can't hear the crying. I know she won't cry forever but even hearing her for 30 seconds breaks my heart and I want to dash in there and get her. But I can't. I must committ to sleep training and I must stick to the plan. The end result will be well worth the pain we're both going through here.

Here are the results so far....

Nap 1 yesterday: Cried for 22 minutes. Slept for 41 minutes

Nap 2 yesterday: Cried for 28 minutes. Slept for 48 minutes

Nap 1 today: Cried for 9 minutes. Slept for 40 minutes - LOVE that she only cried for 9 minutes this morning. Hopefully this is a sign that things are working. But I have a feeling this is because it was her first nap of the day, which is 90 minutes after she wakes up, and likely includes some left over night time drowsiness. Stay tuned for today's Nap 2 results later...

(Note: From a couple of sources that I've read, at her age, 3-4 naps a day of 30-45 minutes is to be expected. Her naps will lengthen with time. I can't wait until they get longer because it seems obvious she needs more sleep. And it'll be difficult to put a nap schedule in place when she is only napping for 30-45 minutes. That means I have to put her down a lot more often. Nap schedule will come later.)

Ok, so when she wakes up from each nap, I go in to get her and make a HUGE deal out of how great she's doing. Tons of praise and kisses, and lots of hugs and loving. Each time she's been all smiles so I hope this means she's excited to see me, but really, I hope she's proud of herself and feeling better and more rested from her nap. Because as each day passes and her naps get better, this will make her a happier baby for sure. She's dying for more sleep so I know this will pay off in the long run. After we master sleep training, and she gets a few months older, as I said, I'll next tackle a set nap schedule. One step at a time here...one step at a time.

As far as the napping/sleep front goes, I feel like we've come a long way. We went from her napping on the Boppy on my lap, to napping in the Sleepy Wrap, to napping in the crib (assisted by my rocking/bouncing, etc.), to now she's finally putting herself to sleep. Everything I've read shows the small steps we are taking now to put good sleeping habits in place will pay off 10 fold for the rest of her childhood. Let's hope so because it's certainly been a labor of love.

Here are some pics from yesterday's early afternoon Dance Party. We got down a little early (I play music on the TV all day - I don't like her to watch the TV. She's gets all spaced out and I start envisioning it corrupting her brain. I know, I'm weird.) and we had a Friday happy hour Dance Party of Skee Lo - "I wish" ...I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat...." (hilarious and old school!) and then Dee Lite - "Groove is in the heart" - which is a household favorite because of all of the crazy noises and fun lyrics - yes, I actually know most of these:). Envision squirming, kicking, throwing her arms around, smiling and laughing...


1 comments:

Kim G said...

Don't kill me - I've only just checked into the blog again so I may have missed something! Especially after all your hard work, just ignore me if you've already tried this...but I saw you gave miss eloise a small warm bottle before putting her down for a nap. Have you tried the Baby Whisperer (much like babywise) "E.A.S.Y" method? The Eat, Activity or Play, Sleep, then YOU method really seemed to work (for us). It always helped not to put mason down right after he'd eaten, in case tummy bubbles or other issues arose.

Now, I totally know how annoying advice is from other moms sometimes - especially if you've tried it and it didn't work for you - so just ignore me if that's the case ;-)

Hope you, mike and eloise are doing well, despite the nap sitch :) We miss you guys!